First Impressions

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lagagnon

Re: First Impressions

Post by lagagnon »

That's strange because I used ext4 no problems here with Mint 7 and the install went perfectly.
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Hello old_salt,
Haven't tried ext4. Guess no great need but I'm glad that many are testing it.

Sounds like you might have a CD writer that is dying.
It's a pain that they aren't as long lasting as one might expect.
I finally changed one only a year old that had been giving problems writing.
Similar to yours. Second one in many years, but it does happen.

I have also had problems downloading via yakuake terminal.
Strange, and maybe it was only me. Must have been something in the timing?

At any rate, I've had good luck with the following procedure for downloading isos:
1. cd /to where you want to download it
2. $ wget -rc http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.iso
[Edit: and check the md5sum]
3. Then burn it DAO/SAO at the slowest speed possible for the media you are using.

saludos,
Richard.
Last edited by RichardH on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

RichardH wrote:Sounds like you might have a CD writer that is dying.
I agree with that assessment Richard.
Fred

Post by Fred »

old_salt,

As an old_salt, you probably already know ext4 is not production ready in the 2.6.28 and 2.6.29 kernel. It isn't that it won't work but there are still issues, especially on some equipment. As was already mentioned, there are some booting issues that have surfaced as well.

Neither Ubuntu nor Mint recommend ext4 for production installs. If you run across consistent, repeatable bugs, report them. That is why the ext4 support is there.

Fred
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

First I have been running Mint gnome 32 bits version under ext4 file-system. Today I've installed the 64 bits version and again the ext4 file-format. My standard procedure nowadays is to burn the ISO on a USB-stick by using Unetbootin. I never experienced any loss of data or other problems. Everything runs smooth till so far...

Greetz, Midas
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

old_salt wrote:Sorry for the rant gent's and I appreciate the Feedback. System is as follows. I just built this puppy about 5 mo ago so ........
Thanks everyone for all the responses and I look forward to hearing from everyone again soon.
Thanks
Tony
Nice machine you put together.
I can imagine your R.A. factor went ballistic when a simple task gave so much grief. :wink:

Still might consider the slowest burning speed and DAO. It really seems to help when there is no other explanation.

Saludos.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Split mich69's support request from this dead thread into its own dedicated thread epson all in one xp-610 printer on Linux Mint 12 "Lisa". Dead thread locked.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Installation & Boot”