Don't Like KDE4

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hoe

Don't Like KDE4

Post by hoe »

I used to be a big KDE fan and was looking forward to giving the new release of KDE4 a whirl but after downloading and installing and playing with it for a day I'm back to my Mint Gnome desktop. I like my cluttered desktop ... l didn't like the cashew ... too complicated. For me KDE4 is pretty but it's functionality is taking a big step backwards. I couldn't figure out how to become a Super User to make changes in /etc/fstab for instance. Becoming root in Gnome file browser is so easy. Nice to visit but l don't want to live there anymore :-)

Wayne
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Don't Like KDE4

Post by exploder »

Hi Wayne!

I have been a Gnome user for quite a few years but I am running LinuxMint 7 KDE as my main operating system now. For me KDE 4,2,4 has some bling and is getting very functional now but it does take some getting used to. :D The most difficult thing for me was getting used to configuring the panel! I respect your choice to use the main edition, it is awesome and I give you credit for trying KDE 4.2.4. Linux is all about choice and LinuxMint provides some very nice desktop environments to choose from. I will have a tough choice when the Mint 8 releases come out and the Intel issue is resolved out of the box.
I couldn't figure out how to become a Super User to make changes in /etc/fstab for instance. Becoming root in Gnome file browser is so easy.
The root actions menus make quick work of these kinds of tasks in the KDE edition.

exploder
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

hoe wrote:I used to be a big KDE fan and was looking forward to giving the new release of KDE4 a whirl but after downloading and installing and playing with it for a day I'm back to my Mint Gnome desktop. I like my cluttered desktop ... l didn't like the cashew ... too complicated
I always liked Kde, but have since gotten used to Mint's version of Gnome

I quite like Kde 4x
http://kde.org/announcements/4.3/index.php
--the potentially annoying peanut (cashew) icon can be eliminated, even if it is an integrated feature of the Kde 4x menu system
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.ph ... tent=91009

--I prefer it (mint gnome) to the usual Places..System..Applications : that many Gnome distribution desktops display as a panel, in other words I like the Mint Suse menu style (kde 4 like) mint menu for Gnome
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Kde4 will get better. Just like it did with Kde3.
Right now I prefer Xfce4.6 since it lets me get more done with less relearning.
But then I'm just older, lazy and set in my ways.

The kids will fix it and it will be great, real soon. Keep trying it out from time to time.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

hoe wrote:I used to be a big KDE fan and was looking forward to giving the new release of KDE4 a whirl but after downloading and installing and playing with it for a day
Only a day?
hoe wrote:l didn't like the cashew ... too complicated.
Fairly simple fix for that.
hoe wrote: For me KDE4 is pretty but it's functionality is taking a big step backwards.
KDE4 is moving foward, and fast!
hoe wrote: I couldn't figure out how to become a Super User to make changes in /etc/fstab for instance. Becoming root in Gnome file browser is so easy.
Becoming root in KDE is also easy, just not the same.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

hoe wrote:I used to be a big KDE fan and was looking forward to giving the new release of KDE4 a whirl but after downloading and installing and playing with it for a day I'm back to my Mint Gnome desktop. I like my cluttered desktop ... l didn't like the cashew ... too complicated. For me KDE4 is pretty but it's functionality is taking a big step backwards. I couldn't figure out how to become a Super User to make changes in /etc/fstab for instance. Becoming root in Gnome file browser is so easy. Nice to visit but l don't want to live there anymore :-)

Wayne
Join the club there are thousands of us!
hoe

Post by hoe »

Well, l have been using linux exclusively for over 6 years now and if l find KDE4 confusing what happens to the newbies trying to get clear of windose. Linux is about choice and until now l have had the choice to clutter up my desktop and being able to see the clutter but KDE4 took that choice away. Unless this is something temporarily brought on by an unfinished product then l will never like it.

Wayne
hoe

Post by hoe »

As with any kind of development in software and OS's why can't features be added without taking away what we already have. Taking away the desktop is like giving someone an office and saying l'm sorry l don't have a desk for you so you will have to work off of your lap and you can't spread your files over the floor but you must remove them from the file cabinet as you need them and put each file back before you can access the next one.

Wayne
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

What do you mean by "clutter", exactly?
hoe

Post by hoe »

I know there are a lot of users who like to keep a clean desktop with very little in the way of files, pictures and mp3s but l might have 20 of these things at any given time on my desktop. I have in the past heard people refer to this as clutter so that is where l get the term from. Now, on occasion l will do a clean up of stuff that l have not accessed in a while and either delete it from my desktop or put it away on my storage partition for safe keeping. I have to believe that people that don't like cluttered desktops are behind this development like those that were against going from command lines to graphical interface. There needs to be an "either or" mentality instead if doing the Gates philosophy of pushing his will on others. Anyhow, l do have a choice l guess and that is to stay clear of KDE4.

Wayne
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I am not going to be drawn in to the whole KDE4 debate because it makes me exceedingly angry to see such a wonderful thing as 3.5.10 trashed by its own developers.

So I will look on the positive side. I have been forced to look anew at both Xfce and Gnome in recent months and in both cases I like what I see, and especially in the case of Gnome I never thought I would be saying that.

Were it not for the decisions that the KDE people made in '4' I doubt that I would have taken the time to look in enough depth to appreciate the alternatives.

So as the saying goes, " It is an ill wind that blows nobody any good."
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

I put folders and files on the desktop all the time in KDE4, although I usually don't leave them there long.

Sounds like your feelings about KDE4 are similar to mine about KDE3, but that's because I broke in on Linux with KDE4.

I've tried giving up KDE4 a few times but it never lasts, although Mint came the closest to keeping me with Gnome.

Nothing wrong with Gnome. After all it's about choice, right? :)
hoe

Post by hoe »

I realize there are different desktops to choose from but l always thought that linux gave us choice within the desktop whereas the KDE4 team has made the choices for us which is why most of us left windose in the first place. One of the biggest arguments that the windose side of the debate uses against linux usage is that in order to have all the choices you need to install multiple operating systems to do it. Whereas if the KDE developers kept the 3X features and complimented them with the new 4X features we would have the best of both worlds but as MS did ... XP wasn't all that bad of an OS except for the security horrors but they completely veered from all of the good of XP and created a monster called Vista. Is KDE4 linuxes monster?

Wayne
warriorpoet

Post by warriorpoet »

re: desktop clutter

the fix is simple. right click on desktop> Desktop Settings> Type (dropdown)> Folder View> set as home/[username]/desktop

I respect people who do not like KDE4, but I find it so much faster, better integrated and more efficient than Gnome, I'll never switch back. See, I didn't even mention prettier ;)
hoe

Post by hoe »

Hi warrior poet: That was easy but now how do l become Super User like l did in gnome file folder ... now, it has to be easy :-)

Wayne
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Wayne,
right click on any file or folder . . . Root Actions
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

You can always try this:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
    Type=Service
    ServiceTypes=KonqPopupMenu/Plugin,text/*,application/x-desktop
    Actions=Editassu

[Desktop Action Editassu]
    Name=Edit as Root
    Name[it]=Edita come Root
    Name[fr]=Editer en tant que Root
    Name[es]=Editar como Root
    Name[de]=Als root bearbeiten
    Icon=kfm
    Exec=kdesu "kwrite" "%U"
With that you can edit every text file as super user.
The file should be saved under $HOME/.kde(4)/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus
This was taken from the KDE forums: http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=66 ... =10#p20498
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

It's either kdesu dolphin or kdesudo dolphin.
hoe

Post by hoe »

I right clicked on /media and was able to create a folder there and that was okay but when l right clicked on /etc/fstab l had no luck so l used the terminal: sudo nano /etc/fstab but still l would like it simple ...

Wayne
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

Hey there Wayne,

I think I found what you're looking for. I had to install Mint KDE to confirm it.

The command is

Code: Select all

gksudo dolphin
from the terminal or Alt + F2

Hope this helps.

If this isn't the solution I must not understand your issue.

Mark

Return to “Software & Applications”