Mplayer plugin or Totem plugin?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
akshunj

Mplayer plugin or Totem plugin?

Post by akshunj »

Which do you guys thinks works better. Mplayer has been VERY flaky lately. Has anyone had some success with Totem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Mplayer is a plugin in my Firefox, totem is not. Both are flaky at the moment - they stop and buffer and I've got an 8 mbps ADSL :(
Can be a network problem.....
//edit//Yepp Lagnappie.la which is on the other side of the atlantic ocean from me has the problem, a webradio nextdoor works ok in totem//
But I've managed to listen with Totem where mplayer failed
akshunj

Should have been more specific

Post by akshunj »

I mean the firefox plugin. Which are most Mint Linux-ers using? The Mplayer plugin is default, and it's not very reliable. Endless buffering and such that is unrelated to the speed of my internet connection. I haven't used the Totem plugin, so I was trying to find out if any other Mint users have been, and how they feel about it.

--Akshun J
Husse

Post by Husse »

Go for Totem
maduranga
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maduranga »

I have used totem-xine plugin under ubuntu and it works perfectly in firefox. I have 512Kb ADSL. But media streaming through totem-xine worked perfectly without a pause. Now there is Mplayer plugin for the firefox by the default in Mint. In most stream lines, mplayer failed to start playing. some of them are very poor quality when comparing with totem-xine. And.. now... I'm searching for something like How-To to change my default media streaming plugin to totem-xine....

Maduranga
salai
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mplayer plugin or Totem plugin?

Post by salai »

How do I change from Firefox mplayer plugin to totem plugin (Mint Daryna). Mplayer used to work earlier with Celena but not anymore (in Finnish Broadcasting Company news http://areena.yle.fi//). When I tested with Live Gutsy, which uses totem, it loaded codecs and worked without problem.

MPlayer plugin starts to load streams, but then only stops.
akshunj

Re: Mplayer plugin or Totem plugin?

Post by akshunj »

salai wrote:How do I change from Firefox mplayer plugin to totem plugin (Mint Daryna). Mplayer used to work earlier with Celena but not anymore (in Finnish Broadcasting Company news http://areena.yle.fi//). When I tested with Live Gutsy, which uses totem, it loaded codecs and worked without problem.

MPlayer plugin starts to load streams, but then only stops.
Just go to "Package Manager" and select Totem-Mozilla. It should automatically prompt you to uninstall the mplayer-plugin, as they would conflict each other. If not, do it manually. Then install, start firefox and enjoy. Or not. I think both plugins suck. Thankfully, most video these days is in Flash. Cross platform, stable enough, and a decent linux plugin.

I have learned to live with MPlayer for the few times I need it...

--Akshun J

Return to “Sound”