Grub hangs while loading stage 1.5

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chris19802

Grub hangs while loading stage 1.5

Post by chris19802 »

Hi Guys,

I'm fairly new to Linux, although I've been running Ubuntu for a few months, and I'm completely new to Linux Mint. I wonder whether anyone can help me with a problem I'm having when trying to get Grub to boot Linux Mint from a USB key?

The USB key has three primary partitions:
1. A FAT32 partition at the beginning of the disk so that I can still use the USB key as regular data storage.
2. An EXT3 partition which is set as bootable and has a fresh installation of Linux Mint on it. This is also the partition that contains Grub.
3. A small swap partition.

When I boot into the usb key I get a message as normal saying, "Grub loading stage 1.5", but at this point it just hangs and will not proceed any further. I've tried booting into the live cd and through a terminal re-running the grub setup against the partition. I've also tried deleting the stage 1.5 file and re-running the setup, but nothing seems to be making a difference.

Can anybody offer any advice on this?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Grub hangs while loading stage 1.5

Post by Husse »

Probably because of gfxgrub - this wiki helps

Return to “Installation & Boot”