printer ink status monitor?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
in2media
Level 2
Level 2

printer ink status monitor?

Post by in2media »

when my laptop had xp on and my epson r265 was installed i had a status monitor which checked the levels on the ink and told me which ink was running low or totally out. how can i check the levels of ink on my printer in mint
any ideas welcome
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
packard bell eazynote with ubuntu 14.4lts
dell latitude d520 with mint 17.3
toshiba satalite with fedora 23
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
john
lagagnon

Re: printer ink status monitor?

Post by lagagnon »

At this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=351851 there are two suggestions: mtink and escputil, both are run from the command line. You could try them, but be aware that many of these report low ink way before it actually happens. I usually wait for the obvious (my pages start to get lighter) and never use software ink level stuff as I find them unreliable.
optimize me

Post by optimize me »

lagagnon wrote:At this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=351851 there are two suggestions: mtink and escputil, both are run from the command line. You could try them, but be aware that many of these report low ink way before it actually happens. I usually wait for the obvious (my pages start to get lighter) and never use software ink level stuff as I find them unreliable.
+1

Even with the proprietary software that came with printers I've bought and installed in Windows, I found them to be completely wrong and unreliable at best. It seems to me that they always timed themselves with how long it's been since you put in and calibrated a new cartridge vs. how many pages you've printed since then.

If I were you, I wouldn't expect to find some pretty little application that you open up and it shows you a picture of your ink cartridge 3/4 or 1/3 full of ink or something. At best, you'll find a terminal-based app like lagagnon suggests.
TwilightGhost

Post by TwilightGhost »

Absolutely poor documentation with escputil, but I finally got it to work with Linux Mint 12.
I had a Epson Stylus CX3810 on USB. Install escputil from Software Manager. Open Terminal:

Code: Select all

$ lsusb
  • Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04b8:0818 Seiko Epson Corp. Stylus CX3700/CX3800/DX3800
My printer was mapped as /dev/bus/usb/001/005...what the hey? Yours may differ.

$ su
Provide user password for root access.

# lsmod
Check for output list for usblp module. If not present, add it. If present, skip two steps to the escputil command.

# modprobe usblp
# lsmod
  • Module Size Used by
    usblp 17833 0
Check again for usblp module. Should be at the top of the list.

# escputil -i -r /dev/usb/lp0
  • Escputil version 5.2.7, Copyright (C) 2000-2006 Robert Krawitz
    Escputil comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type 'escputil -l'
    This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
    under certain conditions; type 'escputil -l' for details.

Ink color Percent remaining
    Cyan 81
    Yellow 92
    Magenta 80
    Photo Black 67
YAY! :)

Return to “Hardware Support”