Screen Resolution?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
richyrich

Re: Screen Resolution?

Post by richyrich »

Hi, Which version of Mint did you install? Main (Gnome)? KDE? Xfce? 6? 7?
As they each have a different way to change the display.

Richy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

One place to look (if it is Gnome) is in Menu -> Control Center -> Hardware -> Display

One of us will be around tomorrow . . . :D
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I am, also, hard of sight . . . . old vision. I need reading glasses for everything.

System > Preferances > Appearance > Font ... from there i can change and customise every bit of text on the desktop or page.

Being able to change any and everything on the desktop is one of the main reasons I came to Linux and Mint.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Hi,
It's in Menu -> Control Center -> Appearance -> Fonts.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Hi Again . . . What display resolution are you using ? ( example: mines at 1200 x 1024)

EDIT: Menu -> Control Center -> Hardware -> Display
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

star55 wrote:The screen resolution he's on is: 1920 X 1024. He says the ONLY other resolution choice it gives is 800 X 600, and needless to say, is way too small. Does that help any?
He has a widescreen (landscape) display, more horizontal than vertical.. 16:9 ratio (vertical:horizontal)
--like a movie screen
Most until now web sites have shown in portrait mode, more vertical than wide 4:3 ratio (vertical:horizontal)
--like a book, newspaper, portrait photograph..
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t ... refox.html
post 8, 10 offer some suggestions..

http://www.bizzia.com/articles/tweak-fi ... it-to-169/
NA /ready for Firefox 3x yet..
His setting of 1900x1024 is not correct for a widescreen display, it is usally more like 1900x1200
If those are his only selections 800x600 and 1920x1024, then the video card settings in the desktop are probably not all they can be; That is, he doesn't have the native/binary drivers for the video card installed, and we don't know which video card, nvidia, ATI or intel etc..
/etc/X11/xorg.conf would need some adjustments for other resolutions..

Some quick checks he can do
In the terminal, check
  • inxi -G
    --graphics card data
    inxi -F
    --short list of all the hardware
    glxinfo
    --first few lines for the video driver being used

Return to “Beginner Questions”