Problem adding SATA drives -SOLVED

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
g-banjo

Problem adding SATA drives -SOLVED

Post by g-banjo »

I hope this isn't considered a "cross post" as it concerns a problem I've been discussing on other threads but I feel this is a clearer way of stating my problem.
I have Mint installed on an IDE drive and it works fine. It is my intention to also, eventually, install XP for music production software.
However, my immediate problem is installing two SATA drives for recording purposes.
When I connect the SATA drives I get "Error 17" on boot.
I have read this Wiki:
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... annot_boot
and have tried to do as suggested but couldn't get back into Mint after editing the menu.lst
Any suggestions?
I feel a possible answer is in editing grub to correct the drive pointers after connecting the SATAs but how can I access grub to edit it when the system can no longer find it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jaspmatt

Re: Problem adding SATA drives

Post by jaspmatt »

Can you not boot your Mint live/install CD and access the drives by opening a terminal window?

Do an fdisk -l to list the drives it sees. Start grub and enter find /boot/grub/stage1 to see which drive(s) are potentially bootable.
g-banjo

Post by g-banjo »

I'm with you so far..
g-banjo

Post by g-banjo »

Having decided to give up trying to mix SATA and IDE using grub I've ordered a SATA drive to replace my systems drive.
It's a kind of solution, I guess.

Return to “Installation & Boot”