[invalid] Linux Mint 7 Freezes

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lagagnon

Re: Linux Mint 7 Freezes

Post by lagagnon »

Lets start from common sense. If this were a Mint bug it would have been reported many times over, especially being as serious as it is, Mint 7 would never have even made a final release. You definetely have a hardware problem. Random freezes are indicative of such. I suggest you read this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... re#p167039

If you have run memetest for 10 minutes or more and did not get any errors then probably not ram. Next thing is to burn the "Ultimate Boot CD" and run the various disk diagnostic tools there for you specific hard drives. If you have a new mobo then it is probably not your mobo. I would then try running a CPU test (running it at 100% CPU) to see if overheating is causing the failure - you can do that from the Ultimate Boot CD also. You might also want to try Prime 95 (http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/) to test your CPU. If none of those fail it could be a power supply problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

An easy way to check CPU temps & cooling, is to boot into your BIOS, find the hardware monitor, and watch it for about 3-5 minutes.
What CPU temps are you getting ?
Notice anything with the fans ?
deleted

Post by deleted »

This happened to me..
I updated sources.list to karmic (instead of jaunty) and have been running freeze free for weeks.
The downside is that vmware hasn't issued an official patch so I cannot run vmplayer on my mint host.

Return to “Beginner Questions”