Backup Harddive permission [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lagagnon

Re: Backup Harddive permission

Post by lagagnon »

Use the terminal to do the copy and use the "cp" command with the -p switch - that will preserve all the file attributes including ownership, e.g:

cp -p *.mp3 /home/me/Music/

for more information on cp read "man cp".
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oboedad55

Post by oboedad55 »

apermath wrote:the data i have is in an extensive tree with many extention types. This does not seem to resolve my issue, but I had not known about the -p switch; good to know. any other ideas to take one Dir, full of everything, and recursively change the ownership?
Is there a GUI program that will accomplish the same thing? I've had the same issue.

Thanks,
Jon
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

Have you tried the chown command?

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R username directory
for example, I had to do

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R jordan ~/data
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

apermath wrote:the data i have is in an extensive tree with many extention types. This does not seem to resolve my issue, but I had not known about the -p switch; good to know. any other ideas to take one Dir, full of everything, and recursively change the ownership?
You could again just use cp: cp -rp * /home/me/Data/
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

oboedad55 wrote:Is there a GUI program that will accomplish the same thing? I've had the same issue.
I don't know of any file manager that will do that easily - this sort of job is a classic good use for terminal commands. I think that you will find that even in MS Windows forums similar questions will get shell responses.

Return to “Beginner Questions”