I need help installing downloaded programs

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: I need help installing downloaded programs

Post by exploder »

Try and do a search for a .deb for the application you want to install, .deb packages will install quite painlessly. To use a tar.gz file just right click on it and extract it, then find the executable file to launch the application.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

It's in the repos. Run

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install scilab
to install it. If you get any errors it might be in one of the repos not enabled by default, just post back and we'll help you with that.
Installing a program by downloading it off a website should be a last resort, anything installed that way cannot be automatically upgraded with Mint install and sometimes isn't as stable as as getting the preconfigured .deb.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Sasafras Jones wrote:Anyway, I downloaded a program called scilab that I wanted and now I have a file called scilab-5.1.1.bin.linux-i686.tar.gz
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux- ... linux.html
--Linux installation methods, .tar, .deb, .rpm etcetera.

In this case
In terminal, check
  • apt search scilab
    p libscilab-java - Scientific software package for numerical
    p scilab - Scientific software package for numerical
    apt show scilab
    Package: scilab
    State: not installed
    Version: 5.1-0ubuntu2
If it is in the repository for the distribution, which it is in this case, it is quite often not the latest version, which may or may not work in your system, that would be installing from a source file .tar or a compressed source file tar.gz
--which requires being compiled for your system (which as indicated above may not exactly match, due to some dependencies that might be needed eg. /lib file versions and so on..
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

You should edit your original post and put (solved) next to the topic. It's an easy way for us to know when a topic doesn't require further attention :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”