Gaaaaahh

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lagagnon

Re: Gaaaaahh

Post by lagagnon »

Please use a more descriptive Subject header so more people will read and possibly respond to your posts.

Re back button: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1008600

I have never seen icons in Nautilus on top of one another as you describe. Perhaps you could put up a screenshot to show us what you mean?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
optimize me

Post by optimize me »

Right click the desktop and select "keep aligned".
optimize me

Post by optimize me »

So, OK. Write a patch.

You'll be the savior of the Linux & MacOS worlds. :lol:
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

DiabloCody wrote:Honestly, if I were a user coming from Windows (which I am) I would just drop Linux MInt right now and go back to Windows. In fact, that's exactly what I've done.
OK, great, good bye, you are no great loss to the Mint community that's for sure.
clhodapp

Post by clhodapp »

Some things:
1) All: I have noted the behaviors that DiabloCody mentioned and I definitely consider them to be issues. I can only assume that most of you have as well.
2) All: I have noted that the latest version of both OS X and Windows function as DiabloCody describes.
3) DiabloCody: I will file these as bugs with Nautilus on their Bugzilla. The Linux Mint team does not make Nautilus and it would be ridiculous to try to maintain our own version over these relatively minor issues.
4) DiabloCody: I hope that you will give Mint another try at some point in the future.
Last edited by clhodapp on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
clhodapp

Post by clhodapp »

Why does this seem to be escalating into a growing conflict? A new user pointed out several improvements that could be made to the Mint distro (although the issues are really with Nautilus, can we really blame a new user for not seeing the difference?). Why not just tell DiabloCody that a change to the behaviors he described would be nice, that a bug will be filed against Nautilus, and then throw in a link to something like this: http://mintguides.blogspot.com/2008/08/ ... ndows.html for good measure and to explain why the filed bug wouldn't have results right away. (Note that these things are now effectively all done. Feel free to follow the link/read the article, DiabloCody.)

Update: Thanks for the compliment. This also kind of negates my statements about a growing conflict, I guess...
clhodapp

Post by clhodapp »

Ok. It would appear that the overlapping icons issue has already been reported at http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=562594

The other issue that you had (with the mouse buttons) has been filed at http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=592027

Update: it would appear that the back/forward thing was fixed in the Nautilus code in April. It should show up in a future version of Mint.
Last edited by clhodapp on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

DiabloCody wrote:And the icons on top of each other? Can't get a screenshot because it doesn't happen every time, but I'm sure I'm not the only person to have this problem.
More context was needed: hardware, mouse model #, manufacturer name
--otherwise if no one has that particular mouse how can anyone say whether it works or doesn't work

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_ ... 6&cl=US,EN
I have a mouse logitech trackman wheel mouse, that if I use the right mouse button I get a menu list, including a Back selection, except in nautilus, it does show in Firefox, so it is partly an applications, partly a hardware issue..

And the icons on top of each other?
I have only seen that issue, when it has been a video problem, as in screen resolution or drivers selection..

The problem with the back button
http://www.linux.com/archive/articles/114134?page=2
--it could be fixed, but it may take some work or research

In terminal, check
  • apt search nautilus
    i libnautilus-burn4 - Nautilus Burn Library - runtime version
    i libnautilus-extension1 - libraries for nautilus components - runtim
    i nautilus - file manager and graphical shell for GNOME
    i nautilus-actions - nautilus extension to configure programs t
    v nautilus-extensions-2.0 -
    i nautilus-open-terminal - nautilus plugin for opening terminals in a
    p nautilus-script-debug - Simple nautilus debugging script
    p nautilus-script-manager - A simple management tool for nautilus scri
    v nautilus-script-purrr -
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/h ... 1-0ubuntu1
v nautilus-script-purrr -
Just noticed that as multiple file renaming has come up in these forums already, and there were many suggestions about software that would help, I don't remember that this nautilus extension was included (it may have been), but the usual suggestions was to use other software for that function
--so you see what a little research discovers..
Last edited by DrHu on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

DiabloCody wrote:You know, this doesn't give a great impression of Linux Mint. Honestly, if I were a user coming from Windows (which I am) I would just drop Linux MInt right now and go back to Windows. In fact, that's exactly what I've done. I have a Mint partition and guess what? I don't use it. I use Windows 7
I could only agree with you if any OS available solved every user's problems
--but none of them can do that: neither Linux, Apple OS-X or Windows OS

..Honestly, if I were a user coming from Windows (which I am)..
--OK, so you are a windows OS user; we get it.
All I could say about the rant against Linux, Mint in this case, is that if you found an issue with a windows OS, would you immediately say, this is crap, I am going back to Linux
--I think not; which makes that argument specious.
Last edited by DrHu on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

clhodapp wrote:Why does this seem to be escalating into a growing conflict? A new user pointed out several improvements that could be made to the Mint distro (although the issues are really with Nautilus, can we really blame a new user for not seeing the difference?). Why not just tell DiabloCody that a change to the behaviors he described would be nice, that a bug will be filed against Nautilus, and then throw in a link to something like this: http://mintguides.blogspot.com/2008/08/ ... ndows.html for good measure and to explain why the filed bug wouldn't have results right away. (Note that these things are now effectively all done. Feel free to follow the link/read the article, DiabloCody.)

Update: Thanks for the compliment. This also kind of negates my statements about a growing conflict, I guess...
Why? Maybe because of the tone the OP takes from the first post. "uh, yeah" translation - "hey, you idiots." "works fine in Windows!" "does not happen in Windows!" Then, when answered civilly he mouths off that next time he will name the thread "crap that needs fixed!" Then, when helpful forum regulars try to further define his problem he gets snappy and starts with his potty mouth. That is why it escalated. If Windows or OS X is so much better then what is he doing here? Use what you like. I dont get paid to help rude potty mouths! Last I looked no one is paying anything for Linux Mint. I dont think it is in competition with Windows or any other OS. It is simply there for the taking, use it or dont. :D If you want help then try asking nicely, maybe someone who is donating their time for FREE to help others in this forum will take notice and have an answer. But no one owes the OP anything. It is obviously HIS problem as we are all using Mint without these symptoms. First I have heard of them, though using Xfce probably has its benefits.

Anyway, I agree with lagagnon. Bye bye!
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

DiabloCody wrote:Everyone is using Mint without these symptoms?

Really? How did they manage that? The back button works natively in Nautilus? Oh wait. IT DOESN'T. So your statement is patently untrue.

I guess since, admittedly by various people here, these are such small issues, I expected them to not be issues at all in an OS as amazing as this one.

Apparently elegance didn't come from freedom. Stubbornness and a feeling of superiority did.
The fact that you're missing is for many people (myself included) the back button does work natively in Nautilus. Most of the time any problem you have in any Linux distro is completely cause by your hardware/a configuration that was inadvertently changed on your system (your as in the user, not you particularly). The reason no one wants to help you is because, to state it elegantly, you are acting like a complete and total ass. Believe it or not, the Linux world does not revolve around fixing each and every issue that you have with your desktop. If you had posted in a different (read: more respectful and inquisitive, rather than demanding) manner, no one would have made any snide remarks. We're all just regular people in here, helping out newbies of our own volition, and when someone comes in posting things like
The back button in Nautilus is also a problem. There is NO reason that it shouldn't work.
there is absolutely no reason for us to want to help you. First of all, what makes you think you know the first thing about making a file browser recognize and integrate the features of a specific piece of hardware? If it's so easy, then you should really contribute to the community and submit the fix yourself. There's obviously a good reason for the problem, and I'm sure someone is working on it. The only thing there's really NO reason for is your attitude.
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

DiabloCody wrote:You are all certainly entertaining people.

I know that it is certainly possible to fix. I know someone who is quite an advanced user of Linux. And I know that stuff, like icons appearing over icons, is fixable.

But whatever. Reign in your small fraction of a 1% OS market share. Oh what a glorious thing it is. Maybe if somebody attempted to streamline these issues then you could increase that.
Once again, you completely miss the point. No one here cares about the market share. Since when has Linux has anything to do with the market? I think most of us could care less whether or not other people use the OS. Sure, I'm always willing to help a friend switch over to Linux with hope that it'll improve his computing experience, but I'm also willing to help a friend fix a problem with his Windows install without insisting that he switch to Linux because it's the best thing in the world. Linux isn't for everyone. If you think Linux is supposed to be like Windows, you're wrong, and most likely you aren't ready to make the switch. Coming to Linux and expecting it to be Windows might be one of the stupidest things possible, because that makes the switch completely pointless.

As far as the fixes to your hardware problems, I'm glad you know that it is possible to do something. I'm also glad you know an advanced user of Linux. Most of the people that would have been answering your questions in this forum are advanced users of Linux as well, it's not like your acquaintance is the only person who knows what's going on under the hood. Obviously your problems are possible to fix (every problem is); that isn't the issue. The issue is the amount of time it would take to fix that issue compared to the amount of difference it makes (which is not much of a difference compare to other much more important issues). And by the way, just who is this "somebody" you keep referring to who should be fixing all of your issues for you?
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

It's always amusing when someone walks into a room full of total strangers and thinks everyone is against him! Why dont you just go to bed and try again tomorrow?
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

Well now. I would say that a subject title such as Gaaaaaahh does catch my attention more than other topics. But besides that lol. When you come into a community flaming about how x and x is wrong so it's crap now, of course you're probably going to get some snarky responses. Use your brain. Second off, comparing Windows to Linux is stupid. See Linux not Windows: http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm.

Nobody cares about market share. Sure, RHEL, SUSE, Canonical, and many others do, but they're business'. They make money. Debian, Mint, and other community distros do this for themselves. And as far as I am concerned, a small market share IS nice. It keeps most of the boneheads from bothering us.

Now onto the main topic. I am using 2.26.2 of Nautilus. What is yours? Also, what is your mouse brand? Did you install restricted drivers if need be?

Lastly, it doesn't matter if you leave. Rather it saves us a grand total of 500 characters typing how stupid your comments (Or rather, how you portray them) on how Mint is, and should be. Although it does allow us to have fun irritating....

Double lastly.... TROLL!!!
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=58017
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1032102
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

DiabloCody wrote:
Kaye wrote:And by the way, just who is this "somebody" you keep referring to who should be fixing all of your issues for you?
A friend of mine who is quite experienced when it comes to Linux. His real name is irrelevant.
Well that one sure went over your head :roll: Did you even read my post?

@Acid_1: Hilarious :lol:
clhodapp

Post by clhodapp »

It would seem I was far too naive about the purposes of DiabloCody... Certainly seems to be in troll territory now. Sorry guys... I guess you can spot trolls better than I. Also, I should add that I have had the back button issue on every one of my 3 mice, so I didn't know that there were mice that didn't have this issue with the version of Nautilus currently in Mint.
optimize me

Post by optimize me »

Man, this thread really blew up over night. Is this a joke?

Overlapping icons? A reason to say "Linux is ****, I'm going back to Windows"?

Are you kidding me?

Here's a solution: When your icons overlap, move one of them you lazy, mindless turd.
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

The reason why we feed trolls is because they are much like a drug, we get a kick out of being wound up and vice versa. ;)

Return to “Beginner Questions”