What keeps me from Moving to Linux

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rshol
Level 1
Level 1

What keeps me from Moving to Linux

Post by rshol »

Mint appears to be an excellent distro (although the main reason I prefer it to Ubuntu is that it has a color scheme other than brown). I would like to be able to switch to Linux Mint as my main OS but have two problems I cannot seem to overcome.

First my system:

*Dell Latitude D840
*2ghz Core 2 Duo processor
*2 gig ram
*nVidia Quadro NVS 120M w/250meg dedicated ram
*updates to most current bios and firmware available from Dell

Then the problems:

1) Mint out of the box will suspend to ram but will not wake up. Ditto for suspend to disk. I don't even know where to start diagnosing this problem. I have been to the Ubuntu forums and to Linux for Laptops, but nothing looks promising.

2) At work I dock my Latitude and use a Dell 19'' flat panel display. The display works fine if I have the nVidia drivers turned off but that is not a satisfactory solution. I saw one solution on the Ubuntu forum that involved changing the Connected Device option in the Device Section to "DFP-1". The flat panel then worked, but the laptop screen would not. Also not satisfactory.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Helmut »

If thats what keeps away from Linux, you might want to try something different. Fedora? Mandriva? DesktopBSD? Who searcheth findeth

Helmut

Return to “Hardware Support”