afraid to install mint..!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bolle

afraid to install mint..!

Post by bolle »

hey guys, i installed linux mint on my laptop a couple weeks ago, and the hard drive went corrupt or something because during the installation process , the hard drive was formatted too many times..

i dont want this to happen again, because i had to buy a brand new hard drive...

im gonna uninstall ubuntu after..

i have a mint xfce live cd, and i dont wanna keep formatting the hard drive!
what should i do?? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: afraid to install mint..!

Post by lagagnon »

Drives do not fail because they are formatted too many times. They fail because they fail, like any other electromechanical component will do over time and use. Don't worry about it - enjoy.
g-banjo

Post by g-banjo »

What made you think that was the reason for the failure?
bolle

Post by bolle »

my sisters bf said that was the reason..

so, i should put the live cd in, and do that..

what should the partitions be like.

should i do all for mint?

or what?
and should i do anything now?
before i install it?
bolle

Post by bolle »

oh yeah, and during the install last time..
it wouldnt work..

random errors about the partitions..
bolle

Post by bolle »

anyone!?? :x
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

bolle: I suggest you read the Mint Guide, available at the Mint Wiki, regarding installation procedures and partitions, especially pgs 10-20. Pretty much all your questions will be answered better than me repeating them here.
bolle

Post by bolle »

i burned a cd with the iso image on it, and while trying to boot linux mint, it said CD error?
what do i do?
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

bolle wrote:i burned a cd with the iso image on it, and while trying to boot linux mint, it said CD error?
what do i do?
Well, there was an error with the CD. So burn another one. Use the slowest burn setting and check the md5 before attempting to boot it.
Azati Prime
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Azati Prime »

Make sure you burn the cd image and don't just put the .iso file on the cd.
bolle

Post by bolle »

how do i check the md5
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

bolle wrote:how do i check the md5
See page 8 of the Mint Guide at the Mint Wiki ( http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... nglish.pdf )
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

Try this:

First off, download this if your running Windows.

http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/md5sums/

To use it just drag the ISO onto the executable, and the readout should be the same as the one given on the download page. Then use your disc burner to burn an ISO. Not a data disc, but ISO. Use the slowest burn setting (Probably 4x), and let it be. Then when installing Mint, simply follow the installers instructions. Good luck.

PS: Don't listen to your sisters BF. He doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. Only flash drives you have to be worried about. And that's not directly related from formatting, but more or less to do with reading and writing to the flash and how many times it's capable of. Different File Systems for those can produce more writing or less writing depending.

Return to “Beginner Questions”