Having Some MORE Problems....

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nater43

Having Some MORE Problems....

Post by Nater43 »

So I got into my BIOS after removing the CMOS battery for a few seconds. I then proceeded to change my BIOS to boot from USB first, before my HD. Once done, I decided to boot up Mint, and start setting stuff up. When trying to boot, I came upon a problem. It says that its loading the GRUB menu, and then sits there. The GRUB menu never comes up, and I never get any error. My laptop fan just proceeds to get quite loud, like it sometimes does if I leave it sitting on the couch or something of that sort. Still nothing. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
justposted

Re: Having Some MORE Problems....

Post by justposted »

To help us help you, could I just clarify: how/where did you install Mint? Are you saying that is sitting on your USB stick and not installed on your PC itself?

If so (it is on the USB only) then could you tell us how you got it onto your USB stick in the first place? Might help to find the problem. For reference, I did it the Pendrivelinux way: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-linux- ... n-windows/

Not saying I'll be able to help, but you never know eh?
Nater43

Post by Nater43 »

justposted wrote:To help us help you, could I just clarify: how/where did you install Mint? Are you saying that is sitting on your USB stick and not installed on your PC itself?

If so (it is on the USB only) then could you tell us how you got it onto your USB stick in the first place? Might help to find the problem. For reference, I did it the Pendrivelinux way: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-linux- ... n-windows/

Not saying I'll be able to help, but you never know eh?
Its on an external HD. I downloaded the Linux Mint iso and burned it to a cd. I then proceeded to install as usual, but change the install location and the bootloader to the external drive. This worked perfectly fine before on Ubuntu, which I was switching from.
justposted

Post by justposted »

Ah okay.

What exactly happens when you boot? Does it say "loading GRUB stage 1.5" or anything like that? Blank screen with "GRUB" in the corner?
Nater43

Post by Nater43 »

justposted wrote:Ah okay.

What exactly happens when you boot? Does it say "loading GRUB stage 1.5" or anything like that? Blank screen with "GRUB" in the corner?
Yes, it says loading GRUB stage 1.5. It also says something below that along the lines of launching GRUB menu, or something of that sort. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I assure you, it was the same thing that appeared when I was using a working Ubuntu 9.04.
Nater43

Post by Nater43 »

Any ideas?
justposted

Post by justposted »

Sorry, I'm afraid I don't.

If it finds stage 1.5 then the basic disk setup sounds fine as far as I understand it (i.e. it is finding the stage which I think should bring up GRUB). I'll have to leave this to somebody more experienced.

Good luck.

Return to “Installation & Boot”