Getting things sorted before installing Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ruthy

Getting things sorted before installing Mint

Post by ruthy »

Good evening

My original plan was to partition the hard drive and keep Vista as well as installing Mint. The thing is that I had to reinstall Vista (due to updating problems) and as it turns out it is not possible to re-install the backuped programs from a CD.

So now I was thinking of just deleting Vista all together (after creating a re-install disk, just in case Mint doesn’t prove to be any better) and just installing Mint.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Getting things sorted before installing Mint

Post by Fred »

ruthy,

You can, of course, do that. I would suggest you backup any data you still have that you want to keep before starting though.

You might want to look at the post and thread referenced below before you start too.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... lly#p72906

Welcome to Linux Mint. :-)

Fred
ruthy

Post by ruthy »

Hi Fred
I took a look at that thread before posting, but am afraid I didn’t understand too much of it. Since you can’t backup programs there isn’t really anything else to backup.
In order to download Mint. When I click on the download will it ask me where I want to open it to, and then I can choose to put it on the CD?
ruthy

Post by ruthy »

Oh, and I’m installing it to a laptop. Do I still just download the main edition?
oboedad55

Post by oboedad55 »

ruthy wrote:Oh, and I’m installing it to a laptop. Do I still just download the main edition?
Yes, download the main edition. As far as installing goes, as Fred says, backup any data you want to keep. Then when you install you can just let the installer partition your drive for you. Bear in mind once you install, your drive will be wiped clean.

Welcome!
ruthy

Post by ruthy »

Thank you
What I meant was when I click on download and it asks me if I want to run or save the file. Would I click on save?
I just wanted to make shore that I got it on CD now as I will be getting rid of Vista before I install Mint (so no need for a partition) so I won’t be able to download it again.
oboedad55

Post by oboedad55 »

Save the file. It should be a .iso file. Then burn it to a CD. Don't just copy the .iso to a CD. It's a disk image. If you double-click on it that should open up your CD burner. If not, start up your CD program and find the selection that says something like "burn image" and do that. Next, reboot your system from the CD and make sure Mint runs okay and your hardware works, sound, network, etc and then you can install from the install icon. Once the installer starts just follow the prompts. I can't remember. Arer you planning on ditching Windows? If so, then let the installer use your whole disk. It's pretty simple, nothing to worry about. Post back here if you're not sure of something before you start!

Good luck!

Jon
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

When I totally deleted MSWindows Vista from my computer; after doing my research, I preferred a Linux OS ... LinuxMint-7 (Main)
I saved everything ... literally!!

Of course, I backed up all my files and documents to an external HDD.
I also, saved my bookmarks from FireFox and Google-Chrome
Saved them to a folder, then uploaded that folder to LM-7, after the install. It works!!

Along with every program that might convert over to a Linux OS. (or the weblinks to them)
Most of my favorites work on LinuxMint, the ones that didn't I found a Open Source Alternative for them.

I'm sooo glad, I made the move to a Linux distro OS . . .
oboedad55

Post by oboedad55 »

Way to go, congratulations! I'm glad it worked so well for you. Very brave! And smart to backup. We get lots of, "I installed Linux on my whole hard drive. Where's my data?!" You might want to look into a nifty add-on for Firefox. It's called FEBE. It will backup your entire profile either on a schedule or manually. It works great. I've used it when playing with different Linux distrubutions.
ruthy

Post by ruthy »

Hi Jon
Am just downloading it now.
Toshiba seem to be all compatible with Linux so I don’t think I’ll reboot from the CD. But instead just have it install straight away (if problems do occur suppose I can just uninstall it). To do this will I need to have the disc in the drive when I start the computer or do I put it in the disc after I start the computer?
oboedad55

Post by oboedad55 »

ruthy wrote:Hi Jon
Am just downloading it now.
Toshiba seem to be all compatible with Linux so I don’t think I’ll reboot from the CD. But instead just have it install straight away (if problems do occur suppose I can just uninstall it). To do this will I need to have the disc in the drive when I start the computer or do I put it in the disc after I start the computer?
You have to put the disk in and reboot your computer with the disk in the drive so you can boot from the CD you're going to make. After that you'll be in Linux Mint and you can run the OS from the CD and make sure everything works. If so and you want to install it just double-click on the install icon on the left and follow the prompts. That's it! Lemme know how if works out. :D

Jon
ruthy

Post by ruthy »

I asked a windows technician how to get rid of Vista completely from my laptop. And he said that I will be able to do this with the Linux CD (which is already now). Is this the case?

It’s getting late now so I’ll finish this tomorrow.
Good night
oboedad55

Post by oboedad55 »

Yes, he is correct. When you run the install and let Mint partition your hard drive it will format the drive and wipe out anything on it. Keep me posted!
ruthy

Post by ruthy »

I typed F8 at start up, but it didn’t seem to show the Mint CD to boot from.
oboedad55

Post by oboedad55 »

ruthy wrote:I typed F8 at start up, but it didn’t seem to show the Mint CD to boot from.
What kind of computer is this? Laptop, name-brand, home-built? Do you know how to change the BIOS settings so you can boot from the CD?

Jon
ruthy

Post by ruthy »

It’s a Toshiba laptop. I don’t know how to change the BIOS settings in order to boot from a CD. Is it always necessary to change them in order to boot from a CD?
ruthy

Post by ruthy »

Its Ok i had to press F12 instead. Just have to install in now.
oboedad55

Post by oboedad55 »

Okay, great! Check out everything with the LiveCD, make sure sound, internet, and so on works and then go for the install. Let me know what happens. I think you're going to enjoy this.

Jon
ruthy

Post by ruthy »

Hay Jon

have just installed Mint this minute. Everything seems to be working fine. The wireless is all working, and this was one of the things I was worried about as I herd that it was a common problem with Ubantu.
I just installed Opera. Take it that whenever I go to install a program and it gives me a choice of Linux distros I just choose Ubantu (the latest version)?

Thank you for your help.
And to everyone else as well
your help is greatly appreciated.
oboedad55

Post by oboedad55 »

The better way of installing programs is first to check out what's available in the Mint Software Manager. Opera is in there for example. If you don't find what you want there fire up Package Manager.

Glad it's working!

Jon

Return to “Beginner Questions”