x64 Installation and Setup.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Re: x64 Installation and Setup.

Post by atlef »

1. It is stable, so if your machine supports 64bit, go for it.

2. Make three partitions during the install, choose the manual option when you get to that part of the installer.
Suggestion:
Partition 1: "root" / | 10gb
Partition 2: swap | 2-4gb
Partition 3: /home | rest of disk.
atlef.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

atlef wrote:1. It is stable, so if your machine supports 64bit, go for it.

2. Make three partitions during the install, choose the manual option when you get to that part of the installer.
Suggestion:
Partition 1: "root" / | 10gb : filesystem ext4
Partition 2: swap | 2-4gb : filesystem swap
Partition 3: /home | rest of disk : filesystem ext4
atlef.

atlef.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

On kernel 2.6.28-11 and possible up to -13 it isn't stable. It crashes when deleting files. However I am using 2.6.28-15 with no issues so far with my backups. So try it, and if it doesn't work, go back to ext3. I would personally go with Ext4 as well.
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

I'm going to diagree with you on this one Acid. I trust that ext4 will work fine most of the time, but for a new user if something does happen it will be more frustrating and a lot harder for them to fix it. The benefits just don't outweigh the risks at this point, I would still recommend ext3.

Return to “Beginner Questions”