Flash Sound Works in Firefox, but Nowhere Else

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
curt_grymala

Flash Sound Works in Firefox, but Nowhere Else

Post by curt_grymala »

I've been playing on and off for about the last month trying to work out my sound issues with Mint Gloria 64-bit.

To start, I had flashplugin-installer, flashplugin-nonfree and mint-flashplugin-x64 installed. With that setup, I had no sound with Flash at all; and, in fact, had no sound in Firefox at all (even if I opened an mp3 file directly in Firefox).

Next, I uninstalled all all of those and tried reinstalling them one at a time. With mint-flashplugin-x64 installed all by itself, I get sound with Flash in Firefox, but I don't get sound with Flash in any other application (mplayer, Opera, etc.). If I install flashplugin-nonfree, I get no sound with Flash at all, again.

I tried installing the alpha version of the 64-bit Flash plugin from Adobe's Web site and it gave me the same results as having the mint-flashplugin-x64 package installed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should look or what I should try installing/uninstalling to get Flash working properly in all of my applications? Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Flash Sound Works in Firefox, but Nowhere Else

Post by Husse »

What is recommended in the 32 bit versions is to purge flash and reinstall
I think I have seen reports of success with all the different versions you can install
That seems to be what you have done
Did you purge? In Synaptic "Complete removal"
It is important to get rid of the config files too
curt_grymala

Post by curt_grymala »

I have purged a few times, unfortunately, using complete removal in Synaptic. I get the feeling that this is a 64-bit specific problem. I do have Adobe AIR installed, which initially required me to install a bunch of 32-bit libs, including Flash (now, with only the 64-bit Flash plugin installed, Firefox crashes when I try to use flash and have an AIR application open at the same time).

If there's any diagnostic information you need me to provide, I would be happy to do so. Thank you.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I normally don't recommend alpha software but Adobe has released an alpha of the 64 bit flashplayer
Uninstall flash, unpack the file use Firefox to install a plugin, pointing to the file
Or put the file in
/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer
That's where I have a file with the same name and size
Not sure how this works - it's called installer...
curt_grymala

Post by curt_grymala »

Unfortunately, the package available on Adobe's Web site isn't actually an installer, it's just the libflashplayer.so library file. I went ahead and downloaded it, though. I then proceeded to locate libflashplayer.so on my computer and deleted all instances of it. Then, I copied the file into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. I then opened Opera to check to see where it's looking for the flash plugin. It's looking in the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory, so I left it as is.

Still, I have sound in Firefox but not with Flash in anything else. I've tried Opera, Totem, Mplayer and VLC. No sound in any of them. However, after trying some AVI and mp4 video files and some mp3 audio files, I've found that there is no sound on those, either.

Amarok works perfectly. Firefox works just fine. System sounds work just fine (the logon sound, the "tweet" sound in Tweetdeck, etc.) but none of my media files seem to have sound in any other applications.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Have to come back to you when I have more time
curt_grymala

Post by curt_grymala »

A little more info:
I finally got sound working on VLC by editing the advanced audio preferences. I had to choose "ALSA audio output" as my output module and "HDA Nvidia: ALC888 Analog (hw:0,0)" as my ALSA device name.
Husse

Post by Husse »

That made me remember this old post (still valid)
Husse

Post by Husse »

I read this again and as far as I can understand it has to be some setting(s) in the apps. At worst something "hidden"
This is about as far as I can get, unfortunately
One thing more - check if .asoundrc can help you - search the forum for it
curt_grymala

Post by curt_grymala »

Thanks for the tips, Husse. I'll keep digging. With VLC working, though, at least I'm not completely without multimedia.

Return to “Sound”