Cassandra Install on SATA Drive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Cassandra Install on SATA Drive

Post by Adler »

Hi All,

I've just gotten a new COMPAQ Presario Notebook with the following specs:

- AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual Core TL-60
- 15.4" WXGA Bright View Wide Screen
- NVIDIA GForce Go 6150 w/ Ports
- IMPRINT Finish + Microphone(s)
- 2GB DDR System Memory (2Dimm)
- 160 GB 5400 SATA HDD
- Light Scribe Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW w/ DL
- 802.11 pre-n WLAN & Bluetooth

It has Vi$ta loaded, and I want to wipe the entire 160GB SATA drive and install Cassandra Beta. I did burn the ISO with the default M$ burner app Roxio, then used QParted to wipe the drive and format the entire thing to ext3.

When I tried to install the Live CD hangs. From what I am reading SATA drives seem to be an issue. Am I right or am I wrong? Any help, please!

By the way, I did try my copy of Biance, it installs, but the screen goes black and the Bianca Desktop does not launch.

Adler
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I would wait for the full Cassandra if you are having problems.

with bianca log into a terminal session (choose at login screen) and then run envy and install the nvidia drivers.

sudo envy

sounds like a video problem.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Had this problem with Ubuntu once upon a time...

Have you tried to restart X with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace?

If this didn't work press Ctrl+Alt+F1 at boot. Then reconfigure X.

Code: dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

If you're not sure about a question, just use the default.

Edit - the above is in response to Adler's last comment:

"By the way, I did try my copy of Biance, it installs, but the screen goes black and the Bianca Desktop does not launch."
Last edited by newW2 on Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I think we need to clarify :)
Does the live CD run?
Your problem is with installation?
SATA is no problem (any more)
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I'll work my way through this.
with bianca log into a terminal session (choose at login screen) and then run envy and install the nvidia drivers.
Boo -- I no longer have Linux Mint on my machine only Vi$ta. More about the install below.
1) did you save some of that 160gb for swap?
2) did you try safe grafhics mode?

D1Wayne -- I think that I did allocate Swap space. As far as I remember the installer does this automatically. I did try to install both Cassandra and Bianca in Safe Graphics mode. But no luck. With Cassandra the CD does not boot the machine, and with Bianca the install starts, but the screen goes black, and does not allow me to complete the install. I have heard of Ubuntu 7.04 doing the same thing as Cassandra in other Forums e.g. the CD does not boot.
Had this problem with Ubuntu once upon a time...
newW2 -- Yes, I also had this issue in the past. I think that it was with Dapper. The work around was to add a script to "Options" for the install. I can not remember what it was. But, I do remember "dpkg-reconfigure xserever-xorg" very, very well.
Does the live CD run?
Your problem is with installation?
Husse -- Yes my issue is with the install of either Bianca or Cassandra.

Again -- thanks for the replies, and any further help.

Adler
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

Hi Guys,

I've gone through my notes concerning the install of Dapper. (I have kept notes since I started with SuSE 9.0 -- LOL.)

To install Dapper I click options, and used this -

noapic nolapic/acpi=off

Would this make sense to try with my new machine, and Bianca?

With regard to Cassandra I'll wait for it to go Gold, but have seen postings in the Ubuntu Forums regarding getting the install disk to boot.

Again, any comments would be appreciated.

Adler
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

D1Wayne,

Thanks. I probably wasn't paying attention to the amount of allocated Swap Memory when I did the install of Bianca. Would using "noapic" or the other option script that I mention help me along? I'm sort of "Dead Meat" right now by not getting Bianca installed.

As it stands I've downloaded the trial version of Nero 7, and will try to burn thye newer versions of both Mint and Ubuntu. I think that this may have been an issue regarding why both of these versions don't boot. Roxio is the default burning s/w with Vi$ta. I never cared for Roxio. Give me my K3B!

Any other comments are most welcome.

Adler
Husse

Post by Husse »

The noapic noacpi options has to do with interrupts ans powersaving and helps on some machines - can't say which though. It can't hurt to use them, and the have helped people so why not try. Unfortunately this seems to be one of these #¤%& :)
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

Husse,

Installs - especially with Notebook / Laptops are often tricky.

Here's my list of things to try -

1. acpi=off - Press F6
2. noapic
3. noapic nolapic/acpi=off (worked with the Dapper install)
4. pci=conf1
5. live noapic nolapic - Hit ESC @ initial boots

I'm also going to re-burn the Cassandra d/l with the trial version of Nero 7. The last attempt was with the M$ Vi$ta default burner Roxio. I'll also burn the d/l twice, once with my on-board burner, and once with my peripheral burner. I wish I had k3B. LOL!

Thanks for your reply.

Adler
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

Hi Guys,

Helping myself along I did again d/l and burn both Ubuntu 7.04, and Cassandra with my machine burner, and peripral Lite-On burner. That means that I had four Live Cds.

I chose to go with Cassandra, and the Lite-On version that I burned. This version is indeed bootable, but once I got to choose location I could not change the screen size to move on. I got that great Global Map, but could not change the screen size. The install looked great, again this seems like an old "Dapper" issue.

I didn't change anything as I thought that I should with F6 options, just ran the bootable disk.

Help please?

Adler
Phoenix, Arizona
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

Hi Guys,

Success!

I was able to install Cassandra by adding this line to Options on the initial install screen.

live noapic nolapic

Originally, a straight forward install did install Cassandra, but when it re-booted the screen went black after the progress bars. Also, on the initial install when the process was finished the progress bar never finalized, and when I was asked to remove the CD, and press Enter the machine never re-booted. I did a Hard Boot, then got the black screen as I mentioned above.

I hope this helps someone along, and as soon as I can get wireless going I'll trash M$ Vi$ta, just like I did with XP, and other M$ nonsense.

It is nice to see the light @ the end of the tunnel!

Thanks to all for the responses.

Adler
Husse

Post by Husse »

@Adler
You had a duplicate post in here that I deleted in case you wonder
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

Husse,

Hej, Hej,

I was so excited to get Cassandra going that I may have posted too many times. Sorry about that.

Now, I'm working on getting my Broadcom 4321AG 802.11 a/b/g/draft-n Wifi adapter working. Jeez, I thought that all the kernel changes would have handled that.

BTW, I once lived south of Stockholm in Kunges Kurve (?) across from the street was a huge IKEA.

Adler
Phoenix, Arizona
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

Husse,

Any help with my WiFi card?

Adler
Phoenix, Arizona
Husse

Post by Husse »

Networking, and particularly wireless is a pain in....
It seems that Broadcom 4321 without the AG is supported by ndiswrapper
Navigate to /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintWifi and follow the instructions in index.html and list.html. The driver is a driver from Dell and it's not exactly the same card but you may succed.
The page is not quite updated, but "forget" that it refers to Bea.
The only other information I've found on 4321AG ubuntu is a thread in Ubuntu forums where I see that you've been. There are very few pages with 4321AG but from those few I see that there's a problem in Vista as well :)
I'm sorry I can't help you better but (obviously) I can't have every wifi card installed. :) I've only got wifi in linux in a laptop that's almost falling apart :)

PS Kungens kurva - yes
Called so because in the 1930s the king (Gustav 5) crashed his car there (or probably his driver)
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

Husse,

Thanks -- I'm once again collecting stuff to try out. At least I found the secret to installing Cassandra.

Adler
Phoenix, Arizona

Return to “Installation & Boot”