Getting things sorted before installing Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ruthy

Re: Getting things sorted before installing Mint

Post by ruthy »

Ah OK,
thanks for that. Its knowing little things like that that help out allot.
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

ruthy,

Even though this guide is for Ubuntu, everything in it works perfectly with Mint. I have found it's a very good place for beginners to start.
ruthy

Post by ruthy »

Good morning

Kaye; i'd rather avoid messing around with terminals for now.

I keep getting a message to unlock key ring manager or something like that when I first start the computer. And if I type in the password I still get it over and over again, and if I click on cancel it still comes up several times.

Another thing is that I get asked for a password for the wireless internet every time I log on and I'd really like to get rid of that.

I was also wondering what I should do with the updates. Is it something that its a good idea to download? Is it best to download ones which I'm not shore what they are. Can you set it to automatically update?

And finally for some reason my screen has gone and shrunk and when I go to display and click on mirror screen it doesn't seem to do anything.
oboedad55

Post by oboedad55 »

Don't know about the keyring, I'll look into it when I have time. Definitely download all the updates. There should be a bunch when you first install and then you'll get them more gradually. The cool thing is you won't need to reboot after updates unless there is a kernel update.

Jon

Return to “Beginner Questions”