Hello, world! Partitioning again

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
smsmith

Re: Hello, world! Partitioning again

Post by smsmith »

I use the following:

/swap - same as my RAM, which I believe is the recommended amount
/root - 10 GB
/home - whatever was left on the drive (I believe it was 18 GB)

With 10 GB for root, I haven't run into any disk space issues yet, but I don't plan on using more than one desktop environment. I've added the KDE game pack and some other assorted programs and added one of the newer kernels and believe I have near 5 GB left. I'll check when I get home.

I only used the smallish 18 GB for /home, because the system is single user and I didn't want to give up my Vista partition quite yet. I haven't moved my music collection over yet, but it's only 3 GB any way. I have a Blu-Ray player hooked to my pretty sweet TV, so I don't plan on ripping movies to this computer, so I doubt I'll need much more space that that. But probably at Christmas time I will get a new laptop with Win7 on it and dedicate this laptop to Mint fully and start to explore the multimedia capabilities.

I don't see many recommendations for more partitions than that anymore. Used to be you would see guides insisting you have a /var, /usr, /bin, etc partition. Somebody will correct me if I am wrong, I'm sure. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

smsmiths' post is pretty good, though if you play games you might want a slightly larger root partition.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

10 gigs is a lot if you don't have much hard drive space. I have mine set to 6.5GB and it still has 2 gigs free. I recommend you run this when you have Mint installed. You can get ~500MB freed up of space.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 42#p147342

On my Ubuntu partition after 3 months it cleared 700MB for me :)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Eocyte,

If you are doing a lot of computationally intensive things, compiling, converting formats, etc., use the 64 bit version. For things memory intensive and normal desktop use stay with the 32 bit version.

Fred

Return to “Beginner Questions”