WiCD does not work for mobile broadband

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

WiCD does not work for mobile broadband

Post by pdc_2 »

I have downloaded and put Mint XFCE onto a CD: and booted it; I had a look at the Eeebuntu XFCE edition recently also; they too use WICD: and WICD does not work for mobile broadband; a big issue I feel;

I think it is great that XFCE is available; I applaud all the effort that goes into making it available for all;

a lightweight distro is great for a netbook; on a netbook, some may log into a mobile broadband network; with WICD you can't;

my idea of a lightweight distro is: Firefox; Skype; good range of wireless drivers loaded; mobile broadband login;

I praise the Ubuntu network manager system: has mobile networks programmed in; just click and load;

I have MoonOS on a netbook: LXFE; and somehow uses network manager;

........... so in a roundabout way, saying drawback of WICD is it doesn't work for mobile broadband; and I understand NM has numerous gnome dependencies
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RichardH

Re: WiCD does not work for mobile broadband

Post by RichardH »

Have you tried installing network-manager?

Just took a look and it makes the following changes on my mint7XfceRC1 install:
network-manager-wicd será desinstalado
wicd será desinstalado

libgweather-common (versión 2.26.1-0ubuntu2) será instalado
libgweather1 (versión 2.26.1-0ubuntu2) será instalado
libmbca0 (versión 0.0.4+bzr66-0ubuntu1) será instalado
libnm-glib0 (versión 0.7.1~rc4.1.cf199a964-0ubuntu2) será instalado
libnm-util1 (versión 0.7.1~rc4.1.cf199a964-0ubuntu2) será instalado
mobile-broadband-provider-info (versión 20090309-0ubuntu1) será instalado
network-manager (versión 0.7.1~rc4.1.cf199a964-0ubuntu2) será instalado
network-manager-gnome (versión 0.7.1~rc4.1-0ubuntu2) será instalado

Course it will remove wicd and network-manager-wicd.
I have no access to mobile-wireless so no idea how it works.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Have you tried to set it up with Gprsec?
It should work with mobile devices.
If not just install network-manager-gnome.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks very much for the two very helpful suggestions;

I have just tried the Gprsec; I see it is in the system menu of Mint (XFCE);

We have a Huawei 220 that loads very quickly on Network manager; (we use MoonOS on a 900 Eee); MoonOS uses XFCE as I understand it, but has NM loaded;

I couldn't get Gprsec to work; talked about some dialout limit; (as compared to it logging on with NM in about 3 secs);
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I had a similar plem with a Sierra Mercury air card on AT&T. I could not easily connect with WICD in XFCE. I just went to Synaptic, searched network-manager-gnome, and installed it. During installation WICD is automatically removed so you are spared the uninstall process.

Once network manager was installed and properly configured, I could connect to AT&T 3G in less than 5 seconds.

Rather than hassle with WICD, just switch to network manager. It only takes a few minutes.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks for this reply; I will do this;

as I had a few minutes today, I booted up Mint XFCE on its USB stick; in one of our Eees; I had the WAP (wireless access point) turned on;

So as WICD had found the wireless, I thought to give it a go ..........

it finds the wireless signal fine; I click on it to connect; and it says "This network requires encryption to be enabled"; It won't let me go further ..........

so I click the OK button;and retreat;

and rub the stubble as to what to do next: right-click on the "Connect" button: No, that is no good;

hmmmmmmmmmmm ? Click on the Preferences button? ...........hmmmmmmmmmmm ......... that doesn't seem to offer options;

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ......... close WICD; right-click on icon tool-bar; No, that ain't no good ............ &#$#s !!

I try to look at linux things from the viewpoint of welcoming newbies: how on earth would a newbie figure this out?

I still can't work out how you enter the WAP password ........... I just shake my head at this ...............
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks!

Return to “Xfce”