Can't play a DVD...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
timjam
Level 2
Level 2

Can't play a DVD...

Post by timjam »

Hi all...

total beginner here...

im running mint 7 and trying to play a DVD... but it isn't working

I put the dvd in.... it gives me the choice of "open in move player" the move player loads for a moment then closes again.

The DVD apears as an icon on the desk top... It if try to play it from there by right clicking and and clicking open with move player the same thing happens... the screen opens... then close a few seconds later...

and idear?

Tim
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Can't play a DVD...

Post by richyrich »

Please try this and let us know the outcome.

Put your DVD Movie in the drive. Open VLC Media Player, click the Media menu item, choose Open Disk, choose your DVD Player, then click Play.

What happens ?
timjam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by timjam »

As before... the drive spins a bit, the player window opens with a black screen then closes a few seconds later
timjam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by timjam »

just tryed again... this time i got a blue screen and the sound of the dvd menu... but no picture
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Are you by any chance using the Mint Gloria Universal Edition ? If not, which one do you have installed ?
timjam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by timjam »

and tryed it yet again and it is back to opening then closing again...
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

richyrich wrote:Are you by any chance using the Mint Gloria Universal Edition ? If not, which one do you have installed ?
timjam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by timjam »

no... im using the main edition
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Okay, before we try some technical stuff, does your drive read other CD's & DVD's (data, mp3's, etc.) ?
timjam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by timjam »

Iv just applyed this work around:
I only see a blue (or green or black) video image most of the time.

You are either watching a very boring video (just kidding) or you are
suffering from a bug in the Xorg 6.7 implementation of X11.

The workaround is to add the line

Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps"

in the Device section of your X server configuration (usually
/etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XF86Config).

Iv not seen a blue/black screen in a wile.... wuth then iv not seen muxh of anything in a wile ethere... ummm....
timjam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by timjam »

the drive playes CD's and plays this and other DVDs in windows.

Iv tryed a couple of DVDs in linux, all comercial, non work.

Same thing happens with all the players... they open... they have a think... they close again...

Thanks for taking the time to help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D
timjam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by timjam »

I just got it to play sound only again... with a black screen this time... this is after applying the work around i mentioned above...

ummm...
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I'm going to get you to open Synaptic Package Manager, type libdvd into the Quick Search box, and compare it to my screenshot.

Do you have the same packages installed ? (the ones with the green box in the pic)
Screenshot-Synaptic Package Manager .jpg
timjam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by timjam »

Yes... I think they are the same
Screenshot.png
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Well . :? . lets take a look at your hardware, type lspci in a terminal, and copy/paste the output back here.
timjam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by timjam »

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:09.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 536EP Data Fax Modem
01:0d.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I think we're getting closer . . . :D
Open mintUpdate - either from the Menu or click the little lock on the panel. Click Edit -> Preferences -> Levels . . click the level 4 Visible checkbox. Now click the reload button.
You will now see all level 4 updates (note that they are NOT checked to install), find xserver-xorg-video-intel, click the box to Install, then click the Install Updates button. Once completed - reboot your computer, & try everything again.
Let us know how it turns out.
timjam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by timjam »

errr.... somthing odd here...

I go to mint install set level 4 to view.... but the ,list is still empty... compleataly empty...
timjam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by timjam »

and i can't see a reload butten... only a refresh butten
timjam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by timjam »

even if i click level 5 nothing is shown...

Return to “Beginner Questions”