Having problems updating....SOLVED!!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
smsmith

Re: Having problems updating

Post by smsmith »

phoenix3145 wrote:you must manually run 'sudo dpkg -- configure -a' to correct the problem
This means you need to run that command in the terminal.

Press ALT+F2. In the run box, type terminal to open a console. Then type sudo dpkg --configure -a and when prompted, enter your password. Note that there is no space between -- and configure.
I am a very recent convert, one of those hideous windows users.
I'm sorry, what? You mean to say that everyone that uses Windows is hideous? I'm not following.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Having problems updating

Post by DrHu »

pheonix3145 wrote:I am a very recent convert, one of those hideous windows users. Just switched over to Mint 7 about two weeks ago. Every time I try to update I get the same message ----
How do you update, which program do you use mintupdate ?

Try..
sudo apt-get clean
sudo dpkg --configure -a

--or sudo apt-get install -f

apt-get --help, will show you the list of options avialble
  • apt-get --help
    Usage: apt-get [options] command
    apt-get [options] install|remove pkg1 [pkg2 ...]
    apt-get [options] source pkg1 [pkg2 ...]
    Commands:
    update - Retrieve new lists of packages
    upgrade - Perform an upgrade
    install - Install new packages (pkg is libc6 not libc6.deb)
--you might also look at
sudo apt-get check
--look for broken packages

Return to “Beginner Questions”