Create an illistrated web magazine

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
johonunu

Re: Create an illistrated web magazine

Post by johonunu »

Here is frontpage with small corections, sugested by slider :
P.S. I removed bedge, I liked it to be more clean !

I made frontpage in A4 format. Is this ok for the size of magazine ? Because Full Circle isn't A4 from what I can see !
I said I can do artwork and write some articles, not just artwork ;)
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

I'd like to write an article (with screenshots) about some useful programs for the terminal. Just to show new users that the terminal is nothing to be afraid of ;)
Scoops

Post by Scoops »

Hi all. Just stumbled across this post. I'm very new to linux.

I've been experimenting with mint for almost 2 months now. As an out and out total new user I think this is a very good idea and will be very keen to see Volume 1 and many more to follow. Maybe even contribute to it one day.

I just wanted to encourage this along as I think it's a brilliant idea.

Regards to all,
Erdejo

Post by Erdejo »

(Edit: sorry, it looks like I posted double...: see next page)

Well, I just stumbled onto this post as Newbie Linux Mint user looking for a magazine....... Event hough I have only been using this for about a week (or two) I really love the distro! In fact, I am so enthusiastic that I have convinced two of my friends/colleagues to start dual booting their netbooks (I currently run it on my Asus-1000H) as well! And I am helping them with the install!
Anyway, I am starting to ramble.... One of the last posts stated that we needed to keep this thing going... What happened to that? It has been a month since the last (useful) post and nothing seems to have been done since then?!?! What's going on? Did it already die a silent death? That would be a shame.
I have done some Technical writing and illustrating in the past and I am also willing to put some effort into doing some proofreading and checking/correcting. Later on, when I have some more experience, I wouldn't mind contributing in other ways as well.

So, let me know where this thing is at and I will be back.......

Regards, Eric.
Last edited by Erdejo on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erdejo

Post by Erdejo »

Well, I just stumbled onto this post as Newbie Linux Mint user looking for a magazine....... Event hough I have only been using this for about a week (or two) I really love the distro! In fact, I am so enthusiastic that I have convinced two of my friends/colleagues to start dual booting their netbooks (I currently run it on my Asus-1000H) as well! And I am helping them with the install!
Anyway, I am starting to ramble.... One of the last posts stated that we needed to keep this thing going... What happened to that? It has been a month since the last (useful) post and nothing seems to have been done since then?!?! What's going on? Did it already die a silent death? That would be a shame.
I have done some Technical writing and illustrating in the past and I am also willing to put some effort into doing some proofreading and checking/correcting. Later on, when I have some more experience, I wouldn't mind contributing in other ways as well.

So, let me know where this thing is at and I will be back.......

Regards, Eric.
Erdejo

Post by Erdejo »

Oh, btw, I forgot to say that I absolutely love the front page that johonunu made! Very, very stylish.
One thing though: I do like the "new" badge, but I agree that it was a little big. What you can do is keep the date on the right (like that position), make the badge a little smaller and then put that on the left side of the page (same height as where it was before) to balance the date out a little.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Eric
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

holy dooly batman!! what a fantastic idea.......sooo.......what now? wheres the progress? :shock:
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I would be willing to try and write some articles in my spare time if someone wants to step up and put this together. The suggested artwork looks very professional! What format should we use for this? Should this be a monthly or quarterly magazine? I get pretty involved in testing sometimes but I would like to see this happen if possible. Ubuntu has "Full Circle" and it is pretty darn good, we might be able to offer some competition!
mercmonster

Post by mercmonster »

I have used many versions of linux over the last couple of years trying to replace windows. I did not try Linux Mint until a week ago. Two days ago I wiped windows all together and have not had to use virtualbox install yet. I am happy with it and I believe that the developers and the community has created a version of linux that could be very useful for the desktop community. Now with that said I have a few questions about this thread:

I was wondering if this is still something that you guys are interested in?

If so, are you looking at setting up a website and also having a format that can be distributed?
How would you distribute it? Newsletter?

I see that there are some very talented people in this community, would you hold contests for cover and internal art?

I believe I could come up with a million questions, I really would like to know what you want and how you would want to do it. I really would like to be involved!
beauvin

Post by beauvin »

Well i too think this is a great ideea, so i talked to johonunu who created the main page and got a couple of mockups of how the magazine might look like.To make the magazine a reality we need more people, who can write articles, create graphics and more importantly a team leader to coordinate all that chaos :). I can create graphics but unfortunately that's all i can do, to make things worse the promotion forum is not that active anymore so putting togheter a team might be very hard :(.

Heres what i've done so far, johonunu already saw these. Oh and sorry for my awfull english!

emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

I would also like to contribute articles, I have a broad knowledge of Linux technologies, but I often struggle on the creative side, so would appreciate suggestions on what to write an article on.

EDIT: yeah, I'll be an editor too (please exploder, it's illustrated!)
Last edited by emorrp1 on Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

cool, so lets get on with it....too much talk, lets start.

i could help with editing.
Image Image
mercmonster

Post by mercmonster »

Well folks I have decide that I would like to help with this process!

Things that we will need:

Web Designer
Graphics Designer
Layout Designer
Editor - a couple of people to look for technical issues and a couple to proof read, combined skills would be a plus
Columnist - at least 10 articles or more per issue - the more people to write the better, suggest article inputs from community
Web host - I may be able to help here!
Domain - I may be able to help here!

This is what I think we need to start!

I would like to help head this up, if you are interested, have ideas, or helpful knowledge then pm me so that we can get this started!
beauvin

Post by beauvin »

I can help with the following:
Web Designer
Graphics Designer
Layout Designer
oh and a little edit on the templates above, the helmet icon is not made by me, it is apart of KDE's Oxygen icon theme and the mint orb icon is made by dlkreations, rest is created by me using 'The Gimp'. Also those mockups do not have articles, just a dummy template text in latin called 'Lorem Ipsum'.
johonunu

Post by johonunu »

Just wanted to say hi ;)
I am still willing to do artwork for magazine. I will do some mockups this week. I'll keep you posted ;)

P.S. I don't think it is important to have a website for the magazine. First, lets create a magazine and than we will see ;)
terrorblader

Post by terrorblader »

Hey!If you guys need one more grammar checker I am willing to help :) too bad I am not that experienced in Linux to write articles ...
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I think a Mint Magazine is a great idea!!

Count me in.

I can edit copy. I am fluent in both, English and Spanish (Certified Interpreter)
I have been known to write an article or two.
I'm not very good with Gimp, but I'm learning.
I do have a keen eye for detail ... I'm a little on the Obsessive/Compulsive side.

I like what I've seen, thus far. :mrgreen: Mint rocks!!
Last edited by vrkalak on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

johonunu wrote:Thank you all ;)
I have made some corrections on front page of the magazine, added web 2.0 kinda badge to fill some space on the top and moved date and number of the magazine to the center (I am not sure about this). Please comment this if you want that I improve it ! Here is updated version :

Great cover design and art!!

Do we need to make an Official MintMagazine Website ... or can it somehow, become a part of the LinuxMINT site?
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

still alot of talk and no action 8)

would love to see alot of GIMP tutorials and user resolved section in mag relating to hardware issues work a-rounds - i say its the biggest draw back on linux in general
Image Image
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

vrkalak wrote:
johonunu wrote:Thank you all ;)
I have made some corrections on front page of the magazine, added web 2.0 kinda badge to fill some space on the top and moved date and number of the magazine to the center (I am not sure about this). Please comment this if you want that I improve it ! Here is updated version :

Great cover design and art!!

Do we need to make an Official MintMagazine Website ... or can it somehow, become a part of the LinuxMINT site?

:P
i vote for this cover page - awesome

:mrgreen:
Image Image

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”