I broke Mint 7 KDE (home partition full, won't log in)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
busbodger

I broke Mint 7 KDE (home partition full, won't log in)

Post by busbodger »

Hello folks. Hoping this is an easy problem to fix. I filled up my home partition full. I got the warning, said ignore it and proceeded to stop the file moving I was doing but I filled up the partition completely. KDE got cranky and I rebooted and it went to the log in window. I normally have it auto log in but this time it accepts my info and returns after a flash or two to the log in screen.

I went in with the LiveCD and deleted about 500MB of stuff that I did not need anymore but same problems.

Anything I can do to keep from reinstalling Linux?

Am going to reinstall the NVIDIA driver using the boot recovery and try that. Seems like I have seen the video driver cause similar problems before. Not sure why this would be an issue though b/c wouldn't KDE default to some 2-D generic driver?

Why would it scramble a video driver anyhow?

Thanks folks! Mint is the BEST!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: I broke Mint 7 KDE (home partition full, won't log in)

Post by Husse »

When you log in there is a little bit of writing so if the /home partition is full you cant log in
I think I know the solution
Boot the live DVD
Go to the home partition - the one you filled up just recently not the one on the live DVD
Delete the two hidden files .ICEauthority and .Xauthority
Reboot and I think you can log in
The files are automatically recreated
busbodger

Re: I broke Mint 7 KDE (home partition full, won't log in)

Post by busbodger »

Thanks so much and I will try that!

Working this morn to wipe an XP computer that caught AntiVirus 2010 for a coworker.

He wants Mint Linux! Wahoo!

Return to “Software & Applications”