Dual boot, Mint wont load to desktop help!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ghostgrrl

Re: Dual boot, Mint wont load to desktop help!

Post by ghostgrrl »

I am having the exact same issues -- I too have an Acer (Aspire 5610Z).

Sorry, I inadvertently cross-posted to the Installation & Boot forum, hoping for help. My bad. :roll:

Okay, this is what was happening yesterday:
<<<Sometimes I receive the blank screen, with mouse pointer only. Today I've been getting a GRUB Error 21 (I read somewhere that means "cannot find disk"--?). Tried several approaches with no success. Only thing I can do right now is run from the LiveCD.>>>

I then came across a post on another webpage that said you had to burn the iso at slow speed, as it was compressed onto the CD and might not work the first few times you try to install. I decided to write to a 4GB USB instead, and this time the install worked fine. However, I'm experiencing a few issues:

1. Cannot cancel any downloads - they sit in the lower right hand corner of Firefox, occasionally indicating there isn't enough space to download

2. Somehow ended up with not nearly enough room on my /home partition -- I followed advice to partition as:
  • /dev/sda1 swap 2GB
    dev/sda2 ext3 mount point / 10GB
    dev/sda3 ext3 /home all the rest (total 160GB hard drive)
However, when I check /home I only have 22MB!

Will try changing partitions with gparted, but I'm a total noob in Linux, so I may just have to reinstall (again.... :roll: ).

Suggestions?

If anyone finds a solution, please post it here! :(

Thanks,
Karen
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tubguy

Re: Dual boot, Mint wont load to desktop help!

Post by tubguy »

I had the same problem after installing with XP in the "side by side" way...twice. On the third attempt I chose the manual
partition set up and put Mint 7 there and it works perfectly. Hope this helps

Return to “Installation & Boot”