Goodbye Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gman
Level 2
Level 2

Goodbye Mint

Post by gman »

The add printer process is too error prone for my brother printer and though I like Mint, the printer issue is more of an issue than the optical drive mount issue I have with PCLinuxOS. So it's goodbye Mint and back to PCLinuxOS. I may have to mount the optical drive manually, but I know that the printer will work and that is what is more important to me and my wife.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Different hardware behaves better or worse on different distros. It's a pity you did not get your printer working - Ive got my Brother DCP7010 working with printing but not scanning (it's a multifunction) due to some oddity in the USB connection for it
I see that you have posted a handful of posts today that the support team haven't even seen.
I fear that you somehow got a broken package, which mostly can be cured with
sudo dpkg --configure -a
If that doesn't help I've got feedback that the problem occurs when the *.bin files in
/var/cache/apt/
get corrupted
The solution is to delete all *.bin files in that directory (which requires using sudo).
After that you should not have the problem with (un)install "going in circles"
I believe your Brother is working in Mint but you seem to have used Bianca KDE and there may be a difference
Harrie
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Brother MFC 210C which I got working with Mint

Post by Harrie »

In my case, I'm sharing the printer which is connected to a Windows machine. But I found an installer script at the Ubuntu forums, and that got me the printer and driver I couldn't get manually. I know I'm talking about sharing and that's not what you want, but the installer scripts may help someone out there for their own purposes, so I'll point to a post where I went into more detail (low in the thread).

I use Gnome.

http://arsgeek.com/forum/index.php/topic,217.0.html
gman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gman »

(The following was mistakenly added as a reply in another forum thread, sorry for the repeat)

I think I have the printer process understood for Brother printers and plan to write a Brother Printer install how to for Mint if I can actually get the thing to print. I have the driver installed and was able to add the printer. In my case I access the printer via the network and I keep getting messages that the printer is busy. So I guess that since I'm this far I will stick with Mint and see if I can get to the finish line. In the interim I have setup a virtual printer to print stuff to PDF.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I guess Mint gave you a bad "impression"..

:lol: :lol:
Clem
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Although you are not using LinuxMint at least you are still a Linux user. Sorry you couldn't get your printer working with Mint.
gman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gman »

I am a former PCLinuxOS user who swore I would not go to another dsitro. I just bought a new laptop and had problems with PCLinuxOS. I tried Ubuntu and Kubutnu and while tyhey worked, they were not offering anything special. I decided to try Mint. I had problems initially but got over the problems. I have to say Mint rocks!!!!!!!!

Mint will be to Ubuntu what PCLicuxOS was to Mandrake. I have no doubt that within six months Mint will be top of Linux distors. Based on my experience I have two how to docs in the works to make the transition to Mint easier for new users. MINT ROCKS. Wow you have have a awesome distro!!!!!!!!
djross95
Level 1
Level 1

Post by djross95 »

Clem: "I guess Mint made a bad impression......."

Thank goodness that in this sanitized, legal-reviewed, P-C culture of ours, there's still room for some humor from the guy at the top! It's almost enough to make me download Mint just on general principle........ :-)

Which I will do anyway promptly when Cassandra is announced ! Well done, Clem. DR

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”