Mint7 dell CPt V466GT install hangs? SOLVED : ]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gearheadjr

Mint7 dell CPt V466GT install hangs? SOLVED : ]

Post by gearheadjr »

My first post and I wish it wasn't so lame :? but need help on a Dell Latitude CPt V466GT Laptop :oops:

I get through the cd boot up does the checks and Splash Screen then appears to be loading maybe 2/3 then goes to a cursor, then the CD drive powers down and I am sitting there praying to a black screen looking for that beautiful Green LM logo...

Any advice @ a noob level?

Brief background dos, all the windows, OS2 etc SCO Unix had a system but got caught up in the mass majority never learned it. Now frustrated with the masses and looking for something fresh to get me back into computers.

Use Mint 7 with 8gb USB Pen Drives on two of my dell computers and on a Compaq/HP laptop with no problems but wanted to do a full install on the older Dell Laptop to thrash on to get some feeling for it and looks like this dell will be giving me a "hands-on" tutorial LOL

Thanks in advance...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Mint7 dell CPt V466GT install hangs any advice?

Post by richyrich »

How much RAM do you have in that old beast ? :shock:

If you are below 512mb, you may want to upgrade your RAM or try a different version of Mint 7 ? (xfce)
gearheadjr

Post by gearheadjr »

richyrich wrote:How much RAM do you have in that old beast ? :shock:

If you are below 512mb, you may want to upgrade your RAM or try a different version of Mint 7 ? (xfce)
LOL old but still boots - 512mb with 20gb drive I thought about an older version... I found on the web something in German about using Red Hat but I like MINT cause it worked so well with my other machines and I have been able to move around a lot quicker on this platform :wink:

Thanks and I'll start making those CD's
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I have an old IBM X20, :roll: my max RAM is 320mb ! Mint 7 Xfce works great, while the others won't load. :(

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Richy

EDIT: Be sure to check the md5sum, and burn very slooowly !!! :D
gearheadjr

Post by gearheadjr »

richyrich wrote:I have an old IBM X20, :roll: my max RAM is 320mb ! Mint 7 Xfce works great, while the others won't load. :(

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Richy

EDIT: Be sure to check the md5sum, and burn very slooowly !!! :D
Thanks and will do :wink:
gearheadjr

Re: Mint7 dell CPt V466GT install hangs? SOLVED : ]

Post by gearheadjr »

Well literally spending all night install after install of various versions of Ubuntu, Mint, Mandriva, burned @ 4x, 8x etc lucky to have my own small network of systems with multiple burners.

Anyway Ubuntu 9.04 and Mint 7 Gloria were the most successful after each install but the restart was the mutha that kept this game going well just about an hour ago the light comes on and I was sitting there at my desk sweatin my !@#$ off and it reminded me of a weekend I spent in a server room trying to cool down the servers. (BTW SoCal hills are on fire now and it's been hella warm here lately)

Yep that is all it was just to much heat got my table fan and turned what was going to be a conversational paperweight running dos and xtree gold (loved that program) now is running Mint 7 and doing so much better on boot up, internet surfing than what XP could do on it stripped down. “woot-woot” now its time to try and break it running some commands so I can play some more LOL.

Return to “Installation & Boot”