Linux Mint 7 'Gloria' KDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
intoDesign.ca

Re: Linux Mint 7 'Gloria' KDE released!

Post by intoDesign.ca »

wobf58 wrote:Is there a way to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.30??? And how upgrading to KDE 4.3. Is that possible?
The quick answer is Yes You Can UpGrade The Kernel.... but just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Have a quick look at the link below... this has just been talked about

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=30924
wobf58
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wobf58 »

intoDesign.ca wrote:
wobf58 wrote:Is there a way to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.30??? And how upgrading to KDE 4.3. Is that possible?
The quick answer is Yes You Can UpGrade The Kernel.... but just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Have a quick look at the link below... this has just been talked about

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=30924
Thanks. Since I have my Laptop setup with several partitions because I like to test other distros as well, I will give it a try. I like to switch to KDE. Using Mint 7 GNOME right now. Since I need at least Kernel 2.6.28 because of my Backlight LED screen I will try it. And my speakers are working better with 2.6.30. I also would like to get my fingerprint reader to work. So I will play around with it since I have that space to do so. I like to stay with Mint since its so easy to use
Laptop: DELL E6500 with LED backlight
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8700
RAM: 4096MB (2048x2) DDR2 800
NVIDIA Quatro NVS160M 256 MB / 320 GB HDD/
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I have always used Gnome as my desktop environment, on both Ubuntu and LinuxMint-7

I am installing LinuxMint-7 KDE to my laptop, as we speak.
I had purchased a LiveCD of LinuxMint-7 with both Gnome and KDE desktops on it, it arrived yesterday.

I'll keep everyone informed as to how the install goes and about using the KDE desktop, for a Linux n00b.
I'm sure I'll have lots of questions.
wobf58
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wobf58 »

rbsjrx wrote:Great! Now, how do I install it? When I go into Synaptic and search for "Mint 7", all that's returned is the "main" updater, which I presume is for the main fork, i.e. GNOME. If I search for "Mint 7 KDE", I get no results. So, should I go ahead and use the main updater or is there something else I should be doing? I really don't want to have to go back and reload the OS and all my backups from scratch.

Also, is there a timetable for a 64-bit version? I'm currently running Mint 6 KDE-64, so the updater might break anyway if I try to update from a 64-bit installation to a 32-bit installation.

Guidance, please...
As far as I know there never was a Linux Mint 6 KDE 64-bit version. Might be I have missed something.
Laptop: DELL E6500 with LED backlight
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8700
RAM: 4096MB (2048x2) DDR2 800
NVIDIA Quatro NVS160M 256 MB / 320 GB HDD/
Seventh Reign

Post by Seventh Reign »

Comparing Kubuntu to Linux Mint KDE, is like comparing a Ford Ford Falcon to a Ford Mustang. They may be built on the same platform, but they are both extremely different systems.

Kubuntu is like the little kid that gets ignored by his parents because they keep having more babies.

Mint is more like the golden child that can do no wrong .. and never does.
salixman

Post by salixman »

for everyone lamenting the abscence of a x64 release, if you REALLY want it, kubuntu 9.04 does have a x64 release. Personally i love linux mint and prefer it over baseline ubuntu and kubuntu, but if that increase in speed is a big deal they have it.
Anakondarh

Re: Linux Mint 7 'Gloria' KDE released!...

Post by Anakondarh »

And it is GOOD. Congratulations on some great work. After months of distro-hoppin' (got tired of PCLinuxOS after a year of happiness, since the repos were starting to grow small for me, and KDE 3 was starting to get old), and even going briefly to GNOME, I finally found a good implementation of KDE 4. Fedora I didn't enjoy since it has way too many fedora tools I don't really care about, and Kubuntu was ALMOST what I wanted, except that it had a nasty bug in music playback which would make it stutter for no apparent reason and that I didn't care to try to figure out. However, Mint has finally done it for me: a clean and well implemented KDE 4 distro (with the exception of Usplash theme, login theme and icon theme, which I think could use some more work...) :)

Thanks guys!!!
kuruka

Post by kuruka »

:?:
Dear linux mint buddies,

Should I upgrade the linux mint 7 with kde 4.2.4 to the kde 4.3 by using the mintupdate dist-upgrade ? Do I have to waste a long time by downloading the dependencies or easy manner? My broadband is fast - a cable broadband.
I appreciate your helpful hints.
cools.

:idea:
isaacahloe

Post by isaacahloe »

I'm a fan of KDE but i need 64bit for programs i use. i've used Ubuntu, but i enjoy Fedora much better. my only problem is that the Fedora repositories are lacking in video/stop motion programs i require.

so my question is, as i think was asked before

is it possible to install the 64bit version of mint 7 and then add the linux mint version of KDE. (i'm guessing not)

also, if i added the Kubuntu KDE onto Linux mint 7 would that cause thigns to be wonky?

ps- i'm somewhatenewer to linux in general
warddb

Post by warddb »

is the an easy way to upgrade from felicia to gloria KDE? I do not have a CD burner but I do have a 4gig flash drive and a 320gig hard drive with 280gig free.

Thanks,

DW
speedyx

Post by speedyx »

Thank you very much to the Mint KDE Community for this gift!
I'm a proud debian&Kubuntu advanced user.
I will recommend from now linux Mint 7 Gloria KDE with kubuntu & Pardus to all my friends!
But I think Mint KDE is over the top of them!

I installed on a clean partition on my testing hd, near arch and openSUSE. Was perfect!!
Then I installed mint-meta-kde from the Gloria repository on my kubuntu jaunty (my working system). Usefull!

I have some ????##@things unclear@??? for the dist-upgrade when we'll go to karmic in octomber... Will I be able to keep my kubuntu+mint over the edge with all the ppa repos included? Will I be able to perfom the dist-upgrade?

I will see soon...
rufus0101

Post by rufus0101 »

Hi.

I am just now running the "standard" Mint 7 with Gnome installed. With this OS I am having problem with standby mode (like many else), has anyone tested this feature in the new Mint 7 KDE ? Does it differ anyway ?

Further, what does a beginner like me gain of switching to KDE instead of Gnome, is this system faster ? Is it just
a change of look and feel with the same stuff under the "surface"?

BR
Rufus
Muzer

Post by Muzer »

Further, what does a beginner like me gain of switching to KDE instead of Gnome, is this system faster ? Is it justa change of look and feel with the same stuff under the "surface"?
Well, there's a different set of applications, and most people agree that these have loads more features and aree generally better. A few apps, though, are more unstable than their Gnome counterparts.
rufus0101

Post by rufus0101 »

Muzer wrote:
Further, what does a beginner like me gain of switching to KDE instead of Gnome, is this system faster ? Is it justa change of look and feel with the same stuff under the "surface"?
Well, there's a different set of applications, and most people agree that these have loads more features and aree generally better. A few apps, though, are more unstable than their Gnome counterparts.
Muzer,

As a new Linux user I have a lot of questions about Mint and Linux. Generally I think that Linux is so spread, there are so many distros and variants of it that the people developing can't really manage it. Why not slim down the choices and put focus on fewer items and get som quality instead. I have tried Linux before and has always returned to Windows because of bugs and so on.

BR
Rufus
Pintu

Post by Pintu »

Great release , already enjoying , I congratulate Team Linux Mint , to present us such a beautiful gift.

Warm Regards
jesica

Post by jesica »

i also did try it but like Gnome more
hecsan

Post by hecsan »

Congratulation for the released of Linux Mint 7 KDE. It's pretty cool for KDE lovers.
geekman

Post by geekman »

I have to say after using various distro's since 2000 that I am just super impressed with LinuxMint. I am not a hardcore purist. I don't mind closed source programs or drivers, but then I haven't been bitten by anything security wise in a driver where the vendor is behind in security patching.

I was a Redhat/Mandrake guy, then a SuSe/Mandriva guy, then Ubuntu with occasional looksee's back at Mandriva and then up comes LinuxMint. Very excited to see that everything on my Toshiba L305D-S5881 worked on first boot.

For linux to gain mainstream acceptance the consumer is going to need to see it work out of the box. The average person, as you know just wants the dang thing to work when they press power on. This is the first distro I have tried that just feels like a turnkey solution. And it really is stable.

I have to say this past couple of weeks or so I have started to enjoy my computer again. Both Gnome and KDE desktops are pleasant visibily. I was getting so bored with my computer, feeling like a computer should be something more and your distro's are.....fun.

The only thing I would say that if it is possible to make it stable but be able to install gnome, kde and whatever your CE editions desktops will be from the repos without breaking something in the other desktop that would only be a plus for the ADD people like me who switch desktops back and forth every two weeks.

Great job with KDE
Mintluvr

Post by Mintluvr »

I converted from Windows to Ubuntu / Kubuntu / Mythbuntu about 2 years ago. I have learned much (compiling drivers for video capture cards, trying to get printers to provide proper color balance, etc.). The final result is always a system that is superior to my many years of running Windows -- both from a stability standpoint and regarding functionality. But Linux Mint 7 it seems has even eliminated these configuration efforts -- terrific job!!

I must agree with the other 64-bit requests though. I am now in the process of choosing a new distro for my main computer. I do a lot of work with video and virtualization and I need to make full use of my processors and RAM. Of all the distros I have researched recently, it seems that Linux Mint with KDE would be the best fit for me -- except for not having a 64-bit option available. If anyone has been successful with adding a Minty desktop to Kubuntu (or possibly adding KDE to Linux Mint 64), please post a "How To". With the ever-growing use of 64-bit applications, it seems there are MANY of us who would be highly appreciative! :D For me, I am now still trying to choose a distro.
catilley

Post by catilley »

I really love Mint! I've only had it a few weeks now, and really love the unique style of the home screen and the overall smoothness that Mint offers, not only to Linux, but the PC world altogether. I've ran several Linux distros, but none as long as Mint. I do have a backup Linux distro, moonOS. But that's for a safety net. I've learned a lot in these few weeks, almost enough to trash Windows after 8 years of use. The only Windows OS that I know has been XP Pro. After all that time, it wasn't easy for me to change, but I did. That's the problem, people are afraid of change. They live in a comfort zone, and no matter how many times Windows screwed up, most stuck with them. I would have, but events happened to me through no fault of my own, and Windows screwed me. After 8 years of loyalty, that was the thanks I got. Well, the buck passes on. Windows has already been trashed on one laptop, and on the other, it occupies only 8.5GB out of 100GB. That's less than 10%. Soon, it will be gone altogether, thanks to Mint. It's polished and ready to run out of the box. Mint is here to stay!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”