Live CD stops with the cow

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frostyboy

Live CD stops with the cow

Post by frostyboy »

I bought a magazine with Mint 7 disc supplied.
I ran mint from the disc and liked it, so installed it on my laptop.
My girlfriend is so sick of MS that she would like to try it on her laptop.
I gave her the disc and she rebooted with the disc in. The boot process progresed until the cow appeared with a $ prompt and went no further.
This did not happen when I ran it live at all, so I didn't know what to do.
I downloaded a fresh copy from here and then checksummed it and burned it at low speed.
The new disc boots to exactly the same point and then just waits for some words of wisdom......which I don't have.
I love the idea of linux and the layout of Mint, but as a long term windows user I am finding the change VERY hard to get my head around.
Also the lack of software for applications I can't live without is making windows seem very attractive.
For example, I can only find one or two extremely simplistic and ugly karaoke management programs, and none to use for my mobile phone in place of Samsung PC Studio.
Can some kind person please tell me how to get past the command prompt, and why I should need to, before my girlfriend frizbies the disc into outer space.

Thank you

.....frostyboy.....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
frostyboy

Re: Live CD stops with the cow

Post by frostyboy »

Ok.....so no-one knows the answer to this problem.
Looks like I'm on my own. And I'd heard such good things about the community spirit.
I'll try and figure this thing out myself.
.....frostyboy.....
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

It would help if you told us what make/model of laptop? What are the hardware specs? How much RAM ? More details please !
This did not happen when I ran it live at all
If you can run it live again, open a terminal and type lspci in a terminal, and post the output back here.
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

Also, about your other comment, there is an alternative for nearly every Windows program. If you haven't found one yet, keep looking, it's definitely there somewhere.

Return to “Installation & Boot”