mp3 playback stopped working in some players

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lysar

mp3 playback stopped working in some players

Post by Lysar »

First, I want to thank Clem & co. for a superb os. It's the best oob dist I've used.

Now, the problem: mp3 playback no longer works on Audacious or gmplayer. It does work on mplayer, totem, vlc, and gmusicbrowser. The only thing i've knowingly changed is using Sound Converter to transcode some downloaded mp3s to a lower bitrate. Those mp3s would not play on Audacious or gmplayer (nor would they play on TCPMP on my pda), but they could still play the original mp3s. Now, Audacious and gmplayer won't play any mp3 file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, since gmplayer seems quite integrated with Gloria.

Thx

lysar

P.S. I just switched to my wife's account to see if she had the same problem. Audacious played all the mp3s fine, but gmplayer only displayed the filename and a running time--no sound.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Muzer

Re: mp3 playback stopped working in some players

Post by Muzer »

Make sure you have 'lame' installed.
Lysar

Post by Lysar »

Of course lame is installed.
Memoox

Post by Memoox »

Did anyone found the answer for this, i've tried GNOME and works normally but KDE doesn't work, i've tried all output plugins isntalled by the default, suggestions?
igorzwx

Post by igorzwx »

QUOTE: "Did anyone found the answer for this, i've tried GNOME and works normally but KDE doesn't work, i've tried all output plugins isntalled by the default, suggestions?"

Try to re-load ALSA, or remove pulseaudio

sudo killall pulseaudio
sudo alsa force-reload

and them go to System>Preferences>Sound and change everything to ALSA (this is for Gnome, of course)

on Terminal:

gnome-sound-properties

Gnome has gstreamer

Type on terminal:

gstreamer-properties

Return to “Sound”