Fluxbox or XFCE CE ?... older lappy... vaio.. small hd/mem

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
terrorblader

Re: Fluxbox or XFCE CE ?... older lappy... vaio.. small hd/mem

Post by terrorblader »

Mint XFCE edition is stable and fast , tried it some time ago on a PC with 512 Mb of Ram.
As to the partitioning :
512 Mb Swap
ext3 or ext4 6 to 10 gigs for /
the rest for /home or /media/Data or however you like it :)

PS : XFCE is also pretty , but I still prefer Gnome over it if system resources allow it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

terrorblader wrote:Mint XFCE edition is stable and fast , tried it some time ago on a PC with 512 Mb of Ram.
Yes, but the original poster has only 256MB or RAM. Yes the xfce version will work with 256MB but it will not be a pleasant experience once you have Firefox or OpenOffice open - that will require swap space so your computer will slow down significantly.

With just 256MB I personally would stick with Fluxbox.
markfiend

Post by markfiend »

I don't know lagagnon, as well as the Gnome edition of Mint Gloria on my laptop at home, I also have the XFCE edition running on VirtualBox in my work (windows) peecee. I've only assigned 256Meg of RAM to the VirtualBox and it works, even with FF or OO running, without swapping. OK, it's a bit slow, but it works.

Obviously it's a virtual machine, not a real PC, but still.
terrorblader

Post by terrorblader »

I say try XFCE first.If it is not fast enough , then go with Fluxbox.The install takes about 15 minutes :)
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Based on the published and/or recommended minimum system requirements (see below) I would go with Fluxbox for a system such as you describe.

For Gloria XFCE:
System requirements:

A minimum of 3GB of free space and 256MB RAM are needed. For a comfortable experience we recommended to have at least 512MB RAM and 10GB of free space
For Felicia Fluxbox (Gloria Fluxbox not yet available)
System Requirements
x86 processor
128 MB of system memory (RAM)
2 GB of disk space for installation
VGA graphics card capable of 800x600 resolution
CD-ROM drive
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

Aging Technogeek wrote:Based on the published and/or recommended minimum system requirements (see below)....
Wow, you mean it might be a good idea to read the info at the website before asking questions? How novel. ;-)
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

lagagnon,

I know its a radical idea, but this is Linux-we're supposed to be radical.

Return to “Xfce”