Dual Boot (Ubuntu + Mint)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Dual Boot (Ubuntu + Mint)

Post by Husse »

Completely black?
I guess not - black with a mouse cursor
This has started happening with the present versions of Mint and Ubuntu (something with X)
Boot into Recovery mode and use the fix X option there
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

OK - perhaps a bad CD (can be that even if you got this far)
Did you check the md5sum and burned as slow as possible?
Muzer

Post by Muzer »

Burning as slow as possible is actually a myth - as long as you don't have a crap drive, you should try to burn as close as your drive can get to the lower limit of the burn speed on the CD.

For example, my CDs are labelled as 52x, but my CD drive can only go up to 48x, so that's what I burn at. I've never had a single faulty disc, and believe me, I've burnt a lot of discs.
Muzer

Post by Muzer »

Give us the output of the following command:

Code: Select all

lspci -nn
Edit by Husse: Or lsusb if it's a USB unit
Husse

Post by Husse »

Burning as slow as possible is actually a myth
Yes and no
You should try out the speed at which your burner gives the best result, but that's not an option for most people so the advice to burn as slow as possible is a good advice
The fact that someone has not had problems burning at 48x does not mean that it's a good speed recommendation
A recommendation in the forum must assume "the worst" case
Muzer

Post by Muzer »

Well, maybe in the short term to avoid errors from the word go it's better to burn slower, but in the long term, the discs are likely to last longer if you burn them at their own recommended speed.

Basically if you have a good quality drive and discs, you should just burn at the speed marked on the disc.

Return to “Installation & Boot”