Untouched GRUB installation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dan_mint

Untouched GRUB installation

Post by dan_mint »

I am new to LinuxMint and would like to install it along with SuSE 11 on it's own partition. Is it possible to install Mint on a seperat partition keeping the original boot (GRUB) configuration/MBR untouched during installation. My idear was to add Mint after installation to the existing boot menu.
Regards
dan_mint
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Muzer

Re: Untouched GRUB installation

Post by Muzer »

I think in the "Advanced options" just before the installation (on the summary screen) you can choose not to install grub.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

In step 7 of the current install there is an "Advanced" button that will ask you where you want to install grub. It's there that you would tell it to install grub to the partition that Mint itself is installed in. For example:

sda1 - SuSE
sda2 - Mint
sda3 - swap

You want Mint's grub to be installed in sda2.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

altair4 wrote:In step 7 of the current install there is an "Advanced" button that will ask you where you want to install grub. It's there that you would tell it to install grub to the partition that Mint itself is installed in. For example:

sda1 - SuSE
sda2 - Mint
sda3 - swap

You want Mint's grub to be installed in sda2.
Yes, install Grub to Mint's root partition.
dan_mint

Post by dan_mint »

Thanks a lot,
I will try it tonight.

Return to “Installation & Boot”