[SOLVED] Install 2nd Linux without affecting Grub

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
skambale

[SOLVED] Install 2nd Linux without affecting Grub

Post by skambale »

I have 2 Linux partitions - out of which i use one as the main OS and one for running beta releases.
What I have noticed is that when I install a 2nd Linux the new Linux overwrites the existing GRUB.

So say for example i have a main Gnome release on partition 1 and the Grub has come from this install and if I then install a KDE version of Linux on the 2nd partition the Grub gets overwritten by the KDE installation.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
Also, how do i revert back to the previous Gnome version if the Grub has been over written?

Its not a issue as such but more of a preference.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nukm

Re: Install 2nd Linux without affecting Grub

Post by nukm »

There are several ways to maintain an original GRUB config and add other OSs, either permanent or temporarily. In the following link, and on Herman's entire "page", you can see various ways. I usually chainload other distros, as many as one wants. http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p15.html There is an example in there (you'll have to prowl) of someone who loaded more than 100 OSs by chainload method.

The key is to never, never, never let an installer do its thing automatically - always interrupt and put GRUB where you want it. I find it helpful to keep a written listing of partitions, etc. but the list is usually out of date. You could keep a printout of GRUB menu.lst.if you have a large number of OS installations.

I might also point out that it is very helpful to understand exactly the video arrangement your system has so that an install does not break it. Particularly with ATI, the newest proprietary driver/Cata;lyst drivers will break with older non-supported cards.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

At install, you must install the GRUB of the second distro in the root partition, not the MBR. Then you reboot in your 1st distro, edit its /boot/grub/menu.lst file and copy to it the line about your second distro that you find in the menu.lst of your 2nd distro. Reboot. Done. :D
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Return to “Installation & Boot”