How to change permission on /usr/

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kladiator
Level 1
Level 1

How to change permission on /usr/

Post by Kladiator »

Hi,
I installed Unreal Tournament 2004 on Bianca (it works flawlessly btw) but now I'm stuck.
I have downloaded a Bonus Pack and an essential patch from Beyond Unreal, and I need to install them on /usr/local/games/ut2004.
Needless to say, I don't have the permission to do anything on that folder and I don't know how tho change that.
I read carefully the posts on this message board and on the gaming section of the Ubuntu forum but probably there is something I don't understand.
Can anyone help? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

You're not supposed to touch anything in /usr manually ... Especially if you don't know what you do.

Did those patches come with an installer or something or with install instructions? Try placing a "sudo" before the needed command. So if the instructions say something like " ... Execute the command ./ut2004-patch-installer ... " then place a "sudo" in front of it, e.g. like this:

Code: Select all

sudo ./ut2004-patch-installer
--> this will execute the command as super-user "root".

Again: You're not supposed to mess around with the permissions in /usr ... Better to use "sudo" and then whatever the manual or "readme" file (of the patches and add-on packages) say you're supposed to execute.
Kladiator
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kladiator »

Thank you for the reply.
No, the instructions for the bonus pack and the patch simply said to unpack and install on the UT2004 folder, which of course is owned by root.
Probably there was a mistake in the installation of the game, but I simply followed the advice I found on a couple of threads on the Ubuntu forums.
Maybe I should uninstall the game and try again, but I don't know how to do it.
Deleting the UT2004 folder is not possible, and I don't even know if that is a stupid idea.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Kladiator wrote: Deleting the UT2004 folder is not possible, and I don't even know if that is a stupid idea.
Overkill. :shock:

If it says to unpack the files ... well, why don't you do it then? I suppose those files that you got are zip files? So unpacking will probably be something like this...

Code: Select all

sudo cp /path/to/zip/file/ut2004_megapack.zip /path/to/where/ut2004/was/installed
cd /path/to/where/ut2004/was/installed
sudo unzip ut2004_megapack.zip 
Kladiator
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kladiator »

I did what you suggested and everything is OK now.
If anyone is interested, the game runs better on Mint than on Windows.
Thank you very much.

Return to “Beginner Questions”