fonts in KDE not as swish as Gnome - solution?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alun_sundry

fonts in KDE not as swish as Gnome - solution?

Post by alun_sundry »

With Ubuntu 9.04 the font clarity came on in leaps and bounds from 8.10, in particular with the 'slight' anti-aliasing setting no longer having all those irritating colours. Mint 7 Kde and Kubuntu haven't caught up - is there a way round this? Some .conf file or other or a port of whatever was done in Ubuntu 9.04/Mint Gnome 7? If not, is it known if anyone is 'on the case' regarding putting this right for Mint 8/Kubuntu 9.10?

It's noticeable more with Open Office.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: fonts in KDE not as swish as Gnome - solution?

Post by DrHu »

http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/fontguide.html
http://avi.alkalay.net/linux/docs/font- ... l#freetype
--you can always try different fonts, as well as the msstcorefonts (Microsoft, purpose was to match local fonts for their browser)
--or a different theme, maybe clearlooks

In terminal, check
  • apt search mstt
    i msttcorefonts - transitional dummy package
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Hi,
System Settings -> Appearance -> Fonts. There you can enable/configure the anti-alias settings. :D

alun_sundry

Post by alun_sundry »

I have all the right settings, and msttcorefonts installed. I am getting those little colours (subtle but still annoying overtones of red or blue) in my fonts with my 'slight' setting, using Mint 7 KDE, when all those colours stopped being a problem with Ubuntu/ Mint as of 9.04/7 _in the Gnome versions_. I do need the slight setting on as the fonts look more wrong, kind of spindly, with medium or full.

I can't find a reference to this issue online so hopefully it will be rectified from Kubuntu 9.10 on. Maybe I should file a launchpad report.

Using the OO word processor, don't you see these colours? Clearly it was an issue with Gnome as it has been rectified and there was plenty of reference to it before it was solved.
martosurf

Post by martosurf »

Hi,

I have a 17" 4:1 CRT monitor and the default font configuration of Mint 7 KDE was very frustrating, a lot more considering I was leaving Window$ XP which have a good if not the best font quality of all desktop OSes.

Wich I did first was install the M$ Core Fonts then search the net for the "Tahoma" TrueType font which I found -normal, bold, italic and italic bold- download and install it with size 8 AND turn OFF anti-aliasing (I hate antialiasing, why is it becoming defacto standard!?) and set font DPI to 96.

After playing a while, I realized DejaVu is lot more readable and way fewer stressful to the eyes so I go back to standard DejaVu Sans keeping size 8 to everything but "Fixed wide"(monospaced) : Courier New 9 (sorry if misspelled, I have a spanish Mint) and "Windows title" DejaVu Sans Bold 8; this works well for me.

Hope this can help you, regards
alun_sundry

Post by alun_sundry »

Segoe, the Vista display font, is a good one to use too.

But the problem is beyond individual fonts. Most fonts when using the wordprocessor in OpenOffice look bad, in that way that was cured for Gnome in April. I'm wondering if I would be better off installing Gnome Mint and then adding KDE.

Return to “Software & Applications”