Installed Mint 7 x64 tonight

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lantesh

Installed Mint 7 x64 tonight

Post by Lantesh »

After about an hour of use I'm wondering why I didn't switch to 64 bit a long time ago. I'm sure there will be quirks I'll find yet, but honestly everything went so smooth I can't believe I waited this long to make the switch. I've had a 64 bit processor for over a year, and stayed with 32 bit all this time. Sometimes I can be such a dummy, lol. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Installed Mint 7 x64 tonight

Post by Fred »

Lantesh,

Some have few if any problems, others, not so lucky. There are still some issues with hardware and drivers, but they are getting worked out. :-)

Glad everything went well for you.

Fred
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Thanks Fred. I just finished setting up the display switching script in this new 64 bit install that you and Kaye helped me with. That is working great along with everything else. The next couple of weeks will be the real test. I of course still have my 32 bit install, and will keep that until I'm satisfied everything is fully functional.
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

Hello...I've switched to Gloria 64 bit some 14 days ago and I am very happy with it too...no quirks or showstoppers here. It seems also the laptop is running a bit cooler now...is possible when you have AMD processors and 'cool and quiet' enabled. Even using the ext4 filesystem now and everything runs like the firebrigade. Greetz, Midas.
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

I switched from Mint 6 32 bit to Mint 7 x 64 last night and things are working great for me with the exception of Firefox / Flash on certain websites. Like photobucket. But I'm looking into that.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

The only real downside I found is that there does not seem to be a 64 bit version of the Lightscribe software, or a 64 bit version of the Lacie label software either. I did a force install of the 32 bit versions of each, and while the Lightscribe software seems to functional, the Lacie labeler is not.

Return to “Installation & Boot”