EasyBCD with Dual Boot? [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ghostgrrl

EasyBCD with Dual Boot? [SOLVED]

Post by ghostgrrl »

Could EasyBCD be used instead of GRUB for loading dual boot Mint / Windows Vista?

I spent 16 hrs backing up data, then installing Mint 7 and reinstalling Windows Vista on my sister's laptop, only to have her husband screw it all up by choosing the wrong "Windows Vista" listing on the GRUB boot menu.

For some reason the menu comes up with the usual Linux Mint, then Linux Mint (compatibility mode) etc., then at the bottom it has Windows Vista twice. If you pick the first WinVista, it goes to the hidden partition where the recovery program is stored (Acer Aspire), and starts to reformat the hard drive. The second choice is the one to use to go into Vista.

Brother-in-law messed up and chose the 1st Vista, which started rewriting over the Mint/Vista installs; now returning GRUB Error 17. Which, unless I'm mistaken, means all my 16 hrs work is down the drain --- it will all have to be reinstalled.

I'd like to avoid this issue again, if possible. So if Easy BCD might help, please let me know, in plain easy-to-understand English, as I'm a Win-veteran and a Linux-newbie.

Thanks so much!
Karen
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: EasyBCD with Dual Boot?

Post by lagagnon »

It would seem to be to be a lot easier to just edit the /boot/grub.menu.lst file and remove the first Win Vista boot stanza and keep the second one. So just boot into mint, open a terminal, type "gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst", remove that third stanza (or whatever you want, or even just put a "#" in front of the offending lines), save the file and reboot.
ghostgrrl

Re: EasyBCD with Dual Boot?

Post by ghostgrrl »

lagagnon wrote:It would seem to be to be a lot easier to just edit the /boot/grub.menu.lst file and remove the first Win Vista boot stanza and keep the second one. So just boot into mint, open a terminal, type "gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst", remove that third stanza (or whatever you want, or even just put a "#" in front of the offending lines), save the file and reboot.
Excellent! This worked perfectly -- thanks a billion!

I really didn't look forward to reinstalling Mint for my sister and her husband and risking them mistakenly choosing the wrong one again. This eliminated the possibility.

Mega gratitude! :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”