My feedback

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Louis
Level 1
Level 1

My feedback

Post by Louis »

I like you distribution very much
I like the surprise in the terminal, the new blue artwork and I like that Linux Mint works out-of-the-box too.
I've discovery some bugs:
The standard homepage in Firefox if you use an another language than English is file:///usr/share/ubuntu-artwork/home/locales/index-da_DK.html please fix this to file:///usr/share/linuxmint/releasenotes/bea.html.

If you more operating systems than Linux Mint 2.1 installed on you computer Linux Mint will display as Ubuntu in the boot loader.

And then I've some ideas to the next releases of Linux Mint.
First I think you should swish the text-color to white and the background-color to black in the terminal.

I also think you should do it possible to upgrade from older versions Linux Mint.
I also think you should create a repository with mint-desktop and all the program that Linux Mint include that there is'nt in the repositories in the sources.list.

I think you should install all the OpenOffice.org 2.1 programs by default and I also think you should install locale languagepacks for OpenOffice.org 2.1 by default. For example the ooo 2.1 lanuagepacks can be downloaded from the Internet like the other languagepacks.

I think that you should include GIMP by default and maybe also gThumb and Xsane if you want that.

I think it's most important to make a full functional distributation that works out-of-the-box rather than it can be on a 700 MB cd-disk.
Alternative you can create a Linux Mint netinstall-cd or/and a Linux Mint-dvd.

If you want to introduce 3D effects in Linux Mint please use Beryl and AIXGL.

I want to be a part of the developers team.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

The standard homepage in Firefox if you use an another language than English is file:///usr/share/ubuntu-artwork/home/locales/index-da_DK.html please fix this to file:///usr/share/linuxmint/releasenotes/bea.html.
Thanks for the feedback on this, I'll look into it and come with a fix.
If you more operating systems than Linux Mint 2.1 installed on you computer Linux Mint will display as Ubuntu in the boot loader.
This is not really a problem. The kernel used "is" Ubuntu's flavor of 2.6.17, so although the user might want to see Linux Mint written here.. he's really booting an Ubuntu kernel.. to be precise.
And then I've some ideas to the next releases of Linux Mint.
First I think you should swish the text-color to white and the background-color to black in the terminal.

I also think you should do it possible to upgrade from older versions Linux Mint.
I also think you should create a repository with mint-desktop and all the program that Linux Mint include that there is'nt in the repositories in the sources.list.
Definitely. These are being looked at and we should come with something for this soon.
I think you should install all the OpenOffice.org 2.1 programs by default and I also think you should install locale languagepacks for OpenOffice.org 2.1 by default. For example the ooo 2.1 lanuagepacks can be downloaded from the Internet like the other languagepacks.
I think that you should include GIMP by default and maybe also gThumb and Xsane if you want that. I think it's most important to make a full functional distributation that works out-of-the-box rather than it can be on a 700 MB cd-disk.Alternative you can create a Linux Mint netinstall-cd or/and a Linux Mint-dvd.
Well things have to fit in the CD! :) Until we decide to move to a DVD edition we have to consider that constraint.
If you want to introduce 3D effects in Linux Mint please use Beryl and AIXGL.
It will probably be AIGLX+Xgl and Compiz (possibly Beryl if it fits on the CD).
I want to be a part of the developers team.
Don't hesitate to participate in sub-projects, a lot of work is needed on some parts of LinuxMint.

Clem
AlsaPhil

Post by AlsaPhil »

Clem, very good job, really.
In my case, after several hours testing what is interesting for me, nothing to say wrong about this distro. Very good stability 'til now. The soft I need and a brand I like.
I work only (since BreezyBadger Ubuntu) with Linux/Gnome, and Bea is now my "own" and only OS. Some friends of mine will do the same in the next weeks, 'have no doubt :lol:
In my case, and only regarding my job, just "miss" OOo Base 2.1, but I will wait the Ubuntu update in one month. The same for languages.
No really, my feedback is giga positiv and i will begin now my apostle job :lol:
Have a question: can I make all Ubuntu updates, when the sign appears on menu, without having a bad feeling regarding stability of Mint? :?:
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Yes you can. And for OO2.1 (language packs and missing apps like Base) I'll soon post a howto.

Clem
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

My feedback

Post by antiquexray »

Clem, I would like to add my voice to the chorus of all those who are finding this to be a great distro.

While I'm not experienced enough to give a very informed critique, I have tried to view this from the standpoint of someone who has never seen Linux, or LinuxMint, before. The only very minor thing I noticed (I'm almost embarrassed to mention it) was when installing Bea, burning a CD from the .iso, etc., as the blue/white thermometer scrolled, the black printing turned white making it very difficult to see and track the progress--see I told you it was minor.

Clem, this is the only problem I find, but short of breaking my system, something not working, or my laptop lid biting my hands, I'm not sure I'd know it.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”