Mint + Mythtv + HDHomeRun

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tommyfullington

Mint + Mythtv + HDHomeRun

Post by tommyfullington »

Ok so 2 days ago I bought an HDHomRun and it's been a battle ever since....

sudo-apt-get install hdhomerun_config
sudo apt-get install mythtv

hdhomerun_config discover

After that I go through myth and set everything up. It finds my channels from my antenna.

I run mythtv. I click "Watch Live TV" ..... Nothing.

I uninstall everything "completely" through synaptic. I start over. Only to find out that during "uninstall everything" it doesn't remove the mythtv user account.

I delete the user account.

I re-create it. I chmod777 the user account. (Yes that's a security hole, BUT I JUST WANT IT TO WORK.)

I go through the steps again. This time it works. I restart my computer. Nope not working. I restart the backend server. Nope nothing.

I go back through the steps... it's not working. I'm right back where I started. What the hell?! does anyone have something similar working?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kwisher

Re: Mint + Mythtv + HDHomeRun

Post by kwisher »

I usually just install mythbuntu-control-centre (spelling is correct) and go through all the options through its interface before starting the backend setup. I don't have a HD-Homerun so I can't advise on setting it up.
tommyfullington

I guess I'll give it a shot... I can view everything through VLC so I just don't get it. Other than the mysql database maybe being jacked up?
tommyfullington

kwisher wrote:I usually just install mythbuntu-control-centre (spelling is correct) and go through all the options through its interface before starting the backend setup. I don't have a HD-Homerun so I can't advise on setting it up.
Didn't work... I think it could be more of an issue with my setup. I'm using two ethernet cards instead of a router.
tommyfullington

Also, don't use the mythbuntu package in the registry. It jacked up my desktop and login screen.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

tommyfullington wrote:Also, don't use the mythbuntu package in the registry. It jacked up my desktop and login screen.
You can switch to your desktop and login screen of choice if Mythbuntu changes it.
tommyfullington

No I definitely changed it back. It also messes up the splash screen and color scheme. I'm just saying it's an annoyance, I might work on a myth compatible package... it's a small thing but an extreme annoyance. It's still not working though.

Channel scan works, launch mythtv, click "watch live tv" and it goes black like it's trying, then reverts back to the menu screen. Any ideas?
tommyfullington

Oh get this, it also kills all of the mint themes. They're gone. Lame...
dequire

Post by dequire »

Sounds like it might be a video card or driver problem to me. I have used MythTV via Mythbuntu and Knoppmyth successfully, but I have not tried it on a Mint install. Shouldn't be much different, I wouldn't think.
tommyfullington

I'm currently using the latest fglrx drivers on a 4850. You could be right, although it's worked once. Where does myth spit out its error logs at? /var/?

I just don't get why it worked once and now it's like pulling teeth to get it to work. I can't even get it going on VLC now, I'll show you the error codes from VLC when I get home, maybe you can give me some advice on them?
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

tommyfullington wrote:I'm currently using the latest fglrx drivers on a 4850. You could be right, although it's worked once. Where does myth spit out its error logs at? /var/?

I just don't get why it worked once and now it's like pulling teeth to get it to work. I can't even get it going on VLC now, I'll show you the error codes from VLC when I get home, maybe you can give me some advice on them?
Look in /var/log/mythtv/. There will be a log file for the frontend and backend.

Do you have permission rights set correctly for the user mythtv for the location where livetv is being written to?

Return to “Sound”