moonOS

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rivenought

moonOS

Post by rivenought »

I saw moonOS mentioned in a thread over at the Ubuntu forum. Out of curiosity, I surfed over to http://www.moonos.co.cc/ to see what it was. If anyone checks it out, perhaps you can verify: Is it just me, or does this bear some startling resemblance to Mint?

There are KDE 4 and Enlightenment versions listed. Reading the info, I see vivid shades of Mint everywhere. Mainly for kicks, I am going to download the Live CDs and see how they run. Has anyone else noticed this distro before?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FedoraRefugee

Re: moonOS

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Ha ha ha ha! A spinoff of a spinoff of a spinoff! I guess that makes MoonOS pretty far downstream! Looks like a half-baked attempt that will probably last a few months at most. but...I suppose people were saying that about Mint at one point and this ended up being, subjectively, the most polished Linux distro ever. That is the beauty of FOSS, and while the days of a couple geeks in a garage are all but over they still exist. I wish MoonOS all the best, but dont think I will bother with it.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Doesn't look similar at all. :)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have not checked out MoonOS but it is flattering that they chose to use some of the Mint tools. It is nice to know that people recognize the quality of the tools and want to include them in their releases.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Hmm. Not seeing anything about them using Mint tools, or about it being a spin-off of Mint in any way. Based on Ubuntu, support for restricted formats, "moonOS tools," some green and black in the color scheme... KDE and Enlightenment desktops... Take away the colors and it might be more similar to Klikit than Mint.
Husse

Post by Husse »

not noticed before - and it is very much Mint - but we spell better and would never (I sincerely hope) use brown text on black background :lol:
It seems to be from Kambodja so it is probably not "old friends"
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

It's nice to see our tools used outside of Mint. If only Ubuntu/Gnome could look at them too. Anyway, this is mintAssistant (a recent version as the little bear suggests :D ) without the branding of course (soon or later, if we want our technology to be adopted elsewhere/upstream we'll have to get rid of all that branding). Good luck to moonOS and to its developers.

Clem.
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foggytown »

Gus wrote:MoonOS 2 saw the light some days ago. I gave it a try and was pleasently surprised.
As was I, a great E17 implementation.

I would give them some time to mature, remember that at version 2.0 Mint was referred to as Ubuntu+codecs.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

For just getting started moonOS is a pretty ambitious project. Give them some time, who knows, someday maybe we will be adapting some ideas from them. The e17 release received some good reviews.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I've been looking for a good and well-supported Ubuntu (or Mint) derivative that makes good use of E17. This might be it.

I like that E17 desktop. Its attractive. I think I'll put it on a stick and see if it likes my netbook. But alas, I'm so happy with Ubuntu Jaunty right now, and eagerly awaiting Mint Gloria, that I don't want to "regress" by rolling back to an Ubuntu-derivative that comes off of Hardy or Intrepid.

[Edit:]Anyone care to take the time to rip their theme and gdm out so I can just install that? My wife would like the look, but I don't know how to extract just the theme.

[Edit:]Direct links to the moonOS forums for Wallpaper, GTK, and Theme:
Wallpaper: http://www.moonos.co.cc/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28
GTK: http://www.moonos.co.cc/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=39
Theme: http://www.moonos.co.cc/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37

Looks like I have a new project to play with in Virtualbox this weekend in the lull between Jaunty and Gloria, and in the lull between sourcing/ordering hardware and bringing my new BSD box up full-time.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'm so happy with Ubuntu Jaunty right now
May I ask you if you have Intel graphics?
I believe you have a laptop...
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

The laptop has ATI graphics. The netbook has intel graphics, 945 chipset. Both are doing well with Jaunty right now.

As for moonOS, I'm not impressed with its "polish". At least as it presents itself in Virtualbox. My impression after a full weekend with it is summed up as "meh".
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: moonOS - warning

Post by waldo »

Because there was some interest in moonOS several months ago, and DistroWatch recently featured the new release, I am posting this warning here.

Yesterday I went to the moonOS site from my Windows 7 partition, and Kaspersky AV blocked my attempt, with a warning of a fishing script trying to load on my computer. I got on a chat session with a tech person at Kaspersky, and they verified the problem with the moonOS site. Here is part of the conversation:

Ken: Ok, there is a real problem as of right now, it is attempting to run harmful scripts

Ken: I have submitted it to the virus lab for full results though. Do you have an email address?

I gave him my email, and I will post the final results here. In the mean time I have contacted DistroWatch. Perhaps it is a false positive. Likely, the guy who runs moonOS was hacked.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Hopefully it is just their tracker the anti-virus program is seeing.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

exploder wrote:Hopefully it is just their tracker the anti-virus program is seeing.
I'm not too sure what a tracker is, but I have been on many other Linux sites, and have not received that warning and site block before. Do they use something unusual?
lexon

Post by lexon »

I downloaded it and burned a ISO DVD. Installed it on an extra drive. No big deal. The install took a little longer than Mint but boot time was about the same as Mint. The drive is completely isolated but I did not see any possible issues.
Vague resemblance to Mint. Did the updates. Did not like the desktop background at all. That might intimidate users from Windows.
It seems to work according to the propaganda.
I just like Mint Gnome much better.

lex
Last edited by lexon on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

You have to give the Moon OS developers some credit, they built a stable e17 based system and they removed the branding and used the Mint tools the right way. Moon OS has not been around very long but they are off to a good start and they did something original with their choice of desktop environments. I personally do not like the default artwork but who knows, the next release might look really good. They saw a need and tried to fill it, they deserve some credit.
bgast1

Post by bgast1 »

I just put moonOS on my machine, but it appears that there is something wrong with their forums. I will be changing the theme real quick, if I decide to keep it. I kind of like the enlightenment.
E17User

Post by E17User »

I just registered for two reasons.

1)I have not seen anything unusual in the traker. :shock:
2)E17 is very nice. :D

http://www.divshare.com/download/8478443-5fd

+1 Exploder , Thanks for their comments.

Greetings:
Agust
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

Trend Micro Internet Security also blocks the MoonOS site as "dangerous". If in fact the people running that site do not wish to have their site blocked by at least two main stream anti-malware programs, then they have to fix the problem immediately. In the mean time, I suppose it is safe to access with Linux, but at this point one can't be sure.

If anyone here has a Windows partition protected with another up to date AV program, it would be interesting to hear your results.

Return to “Chat about Linux”