Favorites in Mint Menu

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Favorites in Mint Menu

Post by exploder »

You can right click to remove things you do not want and right click on any application in the menu and choose "add to favourites".
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

dumbestcrayon wrote:Is there a way to add a custom launcher?
Anytime you add/new item you are either creating yor own launcher (for the application) or using it to launch an application that exists
--they are essentially the same thing..

But Mint menu favorites is a special category, apart from moving applications into it, I don't think you are allowed to edit it (Mint's custom menus); very easily, if at all.
--if you right-click and edit the Mint menus, you will see that those categories Places, System, Favorites don't even show..

There is a custom application launcher applet for the Mint panel (bottom of the screen)
right-click>Add to panel
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Is there a way to add a custom launcher?
try the menu editor. right-click the mint menu then click edit menu. from there you can create your own category and put whatever items you like. don't forget to put a check mark on the show column so the category and your items appear in mint menu's all applications. once you're done, right-click again the mint menu and click reload plugins. now you can add the custom launchers to the favorites menu as posted earlier. hth.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Bungalow

Post by Bungalow »

Hi!
I have an issue with this:

I created a custom launcher (to a Wine appplication) in the appropriate place in MintMenu. Then I added it to favourites.
Later, I found out I did not need this launcher, so I removed (edited) it from the MintMenu.

My mistake was not to remove it from favourites first...The problem is that, although it does not show in the favourites menu,
it is still "present" in the way that it still occupies the place it used to have, although invisible and impossible to edit in any way.

Is there a way to edit this away from the menu, except from reinstalling MintMenu?
Bungalow

Post by Bungalow »

I found the answer to my own question:
In the file ~/.linuxmint/mintMenu/applications.list there was some empty space at the end of the last line.
I removed this, and now the Favourites panel works well. :)
bmike1
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bmike1 »

Well. in the main menu I want to add 'system settings' after I remove 'advanced settings'. Well, I find that removing 'advanced settings' isn't too difficult but how do I add 'system settings'?
forgot to say that I run mint12
:)~Mikey~(:
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

bmike1 wrote:Well. in the main menu I want to add 'system settings' after I remove 'advanced settings'. Well, I find that removing 'advanced settings' isn't too difficult but how do I add 'system settings'?
forgot to say that I run mint12
Assuming that you're running gnome 3, you push in the top left corner which brings up the overview, type system settings, and drag that over to the dock-thing on the side. This will, actually, also add it to the mint menu.
bmike1
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bmike1 »

perfect answer.... thanks
:)~Mikey~(:
pnneves

Post by pnneves »

This is fine with let's call them "conventional apps", i.e. those that are recognized as such and placed in the Applications panel (the one which is activated when you go to the screen top left).
My problem is when you create custom app launchers in the desktop (for example, I did this with eclipse, following these instructions http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/791). In this case these apps do not appear in the apps panel and even if you click their icon while they are running, there is no option to add them to the favorites list. :-P

Anybody knows how to do this?
Thanks in advance, help appreciated!
:)

Return to “Non-technical Questions”