firefox, slow scrolling

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
plutus

firefox, slow scrolling

Post by plutus »

I use FF 3.5 (I have no experience of Gloria+FF 3.0 ...I'm absolutely a beginner and enthusiast with Mint!) and sometimes I experience a slow scrolling...sometimes the pages are loaded with images, some other times not (and I can not explain why FF is so slow..)

Any idea?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: firefox, slow scrolling

Post by DrHu »

plutus wrote:I use FF 3.5 ... sometimes I experience a slow scrolling...sometimes the pages are loaded with images, some other times not
http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_fo ... &forumId=1
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/07/ubu ... -solution/
https://launchpad.net/+search?field.tex ... rch=Search
--check out some of those links for possible fixes (search was firefox 3.5 slow)

You could increase the browser cache size to keep more data locally, that is the basis of most accelerators for download (caching data locally; that is on your own computer)
  • Firefox>edit>Preferences>Advanced>Network TAB
--specify the amount of cache used by the browser, in Firefox 3x the default is 50MB; try doubling, quadrupling and note the effects if any.

I am using Firefox 3xx in Mint (gloria) main edition, I have not installed 3.5, as I understood it was still in test mode from Mozilla, and probably has a few bugs..

For the images, you may have to enable a whole whack of stuff..
  • Firefox>Edit>Preferences>Content> []Block popup windows , [x]Load images automatically
  • Look at the Applications TAB, same as above
  • Look at Advanced>General TAB>Browsing (autoscrolling, smooth scrolling)
    --I have them both turned OFF
  • Look at the help button in Firefox, either as a general help, or when you are using a specific TAB selection
plutus

Post by plutus »

thanks, very clear answer! :)
The_Weaver

Post by The_Weaver »

I had this problem and I disabled Powermizer to get better performance in Firefox viewing long web pages (such as Amazon)

Control Centre - NVIDIA X Server Settings. (then go to bottom item, in LH pane, and deselect).
plutus

Post by plutus »

got an intel video card...
Cubby
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cubby »

One person that had problems with 3.5.2 needed to disable autoscroll, but this assumed you have it set to "true" in hidden settings of about:config under generalAutoscroll.
also, read this:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 38&t=41624
Athlon 64 FX-57, Asus A8N-E, nForce4 chipset, video card NX8500GT GeForce, sound card bGears b-Enspirer w/ audio contlr: CMI8788 [Oxygen], 4G RAM, Sata WD hd 160G + 320G. Boot XP Pro nLite and a few other Linux distros.
plutus

Post by plutus »

It's quite odd...in general the scrolling is smooth but some sites (such as gmail webmail) are still slow :(
plutus

Post by plutus »

made a apt-get remove firefox* and reinstalled FF 3.5.2 via the repos...after some use I realize that the scroling is still sluggish...

Last night I tried another linux (with FF 3.5.2) via virtualbox and scrolling was smooth! so it's clearly a problem with my installation but I don't know what to do..
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

plutus wrote:got an intel video card...
Have you applied the update for intel video cards? The update that ships with Mint is buggy and could be at fault here.

To fix:
Open mintUpdate (the padlock in your notification area - just left-click it, type password)
Edit > Preferences
Mark level 4 updates as visible (not safe)
Select and install the update for xserver-xorg-video-intel
Back to preferences and make level 4 invisible again
Reboot your computer
plutus

Post by plutus »

pluraldave wrote:
plutus wrote:got an intel video card...
Have you applied the update for intel video cards? The update that ships with Mint is buggy and could be at fault here.

To fix:
Open mintUpdate (the padlock in your notification area - just left-click it, type password)
Edit > Preferences
Mark level 4 updates as visible (not safe)
Select and install the update for xserver-xorg-video-intel
Back to preferences and make level 4 invisible again
Reboot your computer
thanks for the tip! I'll try asap...
plutus

Post by plutus »

...always the same problems with scrolling. I've tried installed Epiphany and it works perfectly (even the youtube videos are much smoother), so I guess it's a problem with FF..

Return to “Software & Applications”