WIndows wont show up in GRUB after Mint install!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: WIndows wont show up in GRUB after Mint install!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by SiKing »

Look on your machine in a file /boot/grub/menu.lst. You will need to edit this file as root. There are instruction in the file on how to add a Windows entry.
Post back here with how far you got, and where are you stuck.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

This is not going to be easy, if you are a first-timer.

1. The file in question has privileges to be edited only by root - that's the Linux equivalent of Administrator. This is a good thing, as normally you do not want to mess with this file. In your case you need to change it.

Try this:
- Open a terminal - command prompt. You can find it under Applications > Accessories > Terminal
- Type in: sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
- It will ask for your password
- When it opens, you will be able to edit the file.
- If you make a mistake, you could make you system not work!!!!!!!!!

2. GRUB is the system that runs on your computer before the operating system runs. Windows also has one, you just don't know it. You need to tell GRUB about all the operating systems that you have on your computer. Unfortunately, GRUB has a sick way of looking for things - they are working on GRUB2, but that is neither here nor there.

- First, I assume you have something like this in the file, probably near the end:

Code: Select all

title		Linux Mint
root		(hd0,1)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/sda2 ro quiet splash
initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic
Don't worry about the vmlinuz numbers, yours will probably be different (I am running only Mint 5). The important one is the "root" line. I am only guessing, but I think yours will be same as mine: (hd0,1). This means that Linux is installed on the second partition of the first physical hard drive. This suggests, that Windows will be on the first partition.
- Next look for a block like this:

Code: Select all

# title		Windows 95/98/NT/2000
# root		(hd0,0)
# makeactive
# chainloader	+1
You need to delete the hashes (comments), save the file, and just reboot your computer. If I am right about all my guesses, when your computer boots up, the boot menu will show a new entry: "Windows 95/98/NT/2000" (don't worry if you have XP of Vista, it's only a human-legible label, nothing more)! Select that, and it should just work.

If not, if I am wrong, then we need to do some more work. Post back what you did and what happened. Also, the entire contents of the following:
/boot/grub/menu.lst
/etc/fstab

Good luck man! :mrgreen:
Martin Rabson

Re: WIndows wont show up in GRUB after Mint install!!!!!!!!!

Post by Martin Rabson »

test test
Last edited by Martin Rabson on Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

I once heard something by Billy Idol, of all people: "Isn't it odd how some people come and go in and out of your life, and how others stay around forever?" If the OP still has a problem and if he has the patience, he will come back. If he has a different problem and if his last experience was positive, he will come back. That's a lot of if's! It just may be easier to just move on to a different forum ... different distro ... different OS ... That's just life. :wink:

Return to “Installation & Boot”