Installing Mint after Windows 7

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rhY

Re: Installing Mint after Windows 7

Post by rhY »

Couldn't be simpler. Burn a Mint CD, put it in the CD drive while Windows 7 is on and running and do a Wubi install. Before you do this though, I recommend a clean Windows 7 install with *edit. It is much cleaner/faster than stock Windows 7. Then if you decide you hate Mint (which I've never seen happen. Not once!), then you can just remove it as if it was an application in the Windows Add/Remove settings.

*Edit by Husse - no references to pirated software please
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rhY

Post by rhY »

Wubi is built in the Mint CD. Just boot into Windows, double click the CD with Mint, then double click install inside windows, and it installs the OS like an application under Windows. Then when you reboot, you can go into either OS.

Mint is MUCH faster when installed, and not run on the live CD. Plus it is more configurable, and there are tons of other advantages. If later you decide having the dual boot option isn't for you (for whatever reason), you can just go add/remove in Windows and delete Mint altogether.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

PoEd-De-Man wrote: Hi, I am beta testing Windows 7 at the moment and I think I could benefit with Mint installed on the machine. Until now I have been using the Live cd which has been running on and off for about 3 months now, it is still fast. I have a windows 7 partion on half the drive (200GB) and the rest is unused waiting for Linux, Mint. Is it possible to just install it to the unused space and let GRUB boot Windows? If not where do I get Wubi for Mint?
Start the Live CD - click install - select your unused partition - and away you go! :)
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

Return to “Installation & Boot”