My latest - Sidux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
viking777

My latest - Sidux

Post by viking777 »

I think it was Fred that recommended Sidux, at the time I didn't really like the look of it, but lately I have been missing the fun of a bleeding edge distro. For me that always used to be Mandriva Cooker, but the dimwits at Mandriva decided to make that a DVD only distro from the latest version, and I would not download a DVD only distro even if I intended to use it full time like Mint, never mind for a testing version. So I decided to take a look at Sidux. I didn't find it as easy to set up as Mint, but then nothing is, and the lack of a Gnome desktop is a big drawback ( I don't really like Gnome that much, but I hate KDE4 so much it goes off the scale!) so I plumped for the Xfce version. I like Xfce, but it takes a lot more configuration to get it to my taste than Gnome does. I also decided to try 64bit as well. I have had a 64bit machine for some time but I always use 32bit OS's as it has up till now, always been more usable than 64 bit - I note that hasn't changed :(

My first download was corrupt and my second wouldn't even boot from the live cd (grub loading please wait!) So I gave up and went to bed having written off Sidux already. In the morning the live CD magically started to work (don't ask me?), so I installed straight away, which was easy apart from being asked half a dozen times to confirm my keyboard map (again I don't know why). The most surprising thing about Sidux is that it must be the only distro in the world that suggests you 'dist-upgrade' daily or never less than once a month! That makes it interesting. So I upgraded straight away (about 250 Mb) and it survived remarkably well - no problems.

The post install configuration was fairly easy for somebody used to Mint, it is mostly apt-get although they do have a reasonable package manager with a gui if you want it. The thing that impressed me most about it was the documentation, I seemed to be able to find everything I looked for without too much fuss in the manual and wiki. I installed everything I usually install and tried everything I usually try, and it all seemed successful. The only failure was googleearth, but that is due to 64bit not due to Sidux.

So with that exception I now have a fully working system that I could use on a day to day basis if I wanted, although I intend it as a testing system and a learning platform so I won't be using it in that manner.

If you crave the frisson of excitement that comes with a massive amount of updates, regular dist-upgrades, and the newest version of everything then it is worth a look. But for that same reason I wouldn't use it on its own!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Re: My latest - Sidux

Post by GoustiFruit »

viking777 wrote:The most surprising thing about Sidux is that it must be the only distro in the world that suggests you 'dist-upgrade' daily or never less than once a month!
If I did understand well, Sidux is a rolling distribution. So no, it's not the only one that suggest this, take a look at PCLinuxOS.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I already use PClinuxOS - it certainly doesn't suggest that anywhere I have read - I could have missed it I suppose, I am usually not a great one for trawling documentation unless I have broken something!
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I also just installed Sidux (mostly due to Fred's talking about it). I've got it on an Acer Aspire One netbook running an Intel Atom 270 at 1.6 Ghz with 2 Gib DDR2 ram and a 160 Gib, 7200 RPM HD. It went in smooth and easy and setup was a breeze. I find it runs significantly faster than Mint on my system.

I like the emphasis on terminal for all config and app runs. It forces the user to get deeper into the guts of Linux - which is a definite god thing.

Mint 7 XFCE will continue to be my daily driver, but it's fun to play on the edge sometimes.

PS I also installed Crunchbang, gOS, and Mint XFCE (with the LXDE meta package installed) on the same box at the same time. I'm going to be a busy Technogeek for a while.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Yeah it is quite sprightly isn't it. The only things I dislike about it are all due to my choice of Desktop Environment rather than down to Sidux itself.

The lack of a menu editor in Xfce 4.6 is unforgivable, expecting people to write their own xml files just to customize a menu is plain crazy. For me the default network manager is unacceptable - but that is because I use mobile broadband a lot and the only program that handles that sensibly is gnome network manager so I had to install that. The default program works fine with ethernet connections. Then I don't like Thunar much either but then I always install Xfe ( http://roland65.free.fr/xfe/index.php?page=docs ) on any distro I use so I use that as file manager instead.

So what grumbles I have are easily worked round, and are entirely down to Xfce (well KDE actually for ruining KDE and making me use Xfce) none of it is down to Sidux - I like it so far, I would just prefer a Gnome desktop option - but that would probably slow it down!
mince'n'tatties

Post by mince'n'tatties »

I have been using sidux on another pc inmy house for a while and have no complaints at all about it, I have only used the KDE version. The one thing that I was amazed by the first time I installed sidux was the blistering speed in which it was installed and ready to use a little over four minutes. The smxi script is great as well for cleaning put old kernels and dist-upgrade as well as graphics card driver installation. In my opinion a great distro....if only they had a gnome version.
deleted

Post by deleted »

I was a long time sidux user, but now a die-hard mint user. Nothing was wrong with the distro. I just went to Gnome during the KDE 4 hiccup. I don't think gnome really "works" in SID due to a package dependency, but you can get most of it. I tried it out (again) using the gnome instructions found on SimplyMEPIS' website. After I did, tho, I thought, why not just go with Mint?
deleted

Post by deleted »

oomingmak wrote:A New Version has just been released. (See link for details).
I know... But isn't Parsix using the Kanotix kernel?
For some reason, I've been feeling a little easier using kernels, packages, etc that are a little more mainstream.
deleted

Post by deleted »

oomingmak wrote: I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say "kanotix kernel". The Kanotix distro is based on Debian (just like Parsix is) although Kanotix uses Debian Stable as its base rather than using Debian Testing.

By the way, my original post was a suggestion for the OP (viking777) as it seemed to meet his criteria.
I think uname -a mentions Kanotix. I know it did (once upon a time) for DreamLinux.

Return to “Chat about Linux”