Widget Settings Popout Bar - Comment & Question

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Widget Settings Popout Bar - Comment & Question

Post by rhodry »

I am running Mint Gloria KDE4 here fully updated. Can I just say what a great job the developers are doing with this. I have been a big Mint fan for a long time & my production systems run Gloria Gnome. I hated KDE4 when it first arrived, I thought they (the KDE developers) did a real "Microsoft" on the user base; dumping half finished beta software on a largely unsuspecting public calling it 'ready' and leaving it to sort out later. Anyway, I swore off KDE after that, but this newest version from the Minty folks truly is impressive. I haven't bothered leaving for ages. Anyway, now that the base is stable, I have this test partition running & am just plodding along trying to re-learn tricks & techniques & see what the new apps versions have to offer.

I like to run a pretty simple desktop (on wide screen monitors) and I am not a big fan of the Docks around. I just think they consume far too many resources for what is basically an icon-based app launcher. So, in days of old I used to just run a second (vertical) panel on the far right edge of the screen with my 15 or so top used apps icons in it. No sliding, popping, fancy wiz bang menus to deal with; just click on an icon and up comes my app. :) I have managed to replace that functionality with a Quicklauncher widget that does the same thing. However,

I have found with this widget and (it seems) all desktop widgets that when I approach it with the mouse the little settings panel pops out. Well, I don't want to change the bl*!!*& settings :), I'm just moving my mouse over to click on an icon. I find this behaviour REALLY annoying! If I want to change settings on the damn thing I will right click and choose settings or click on a 'cashew' or do something else definitive! I have not found any way yet to turn off this behaviour of the widgets. Probably just something simple I have missed. :)

I would be most grateful if anyone can suggest a way to stop this pop out.

Cheers, & well done again,
Rhodry.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Widget Settings Popout Bar - Comment & Question

Post by richyrich »

Right-click on the desktop, choose "Lock Widgets" . . . . done ! :D

EDIT: Yes, Mint has done a terrific job in the KDE CE ! Boo should be congratulated for his accomplishment !
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Widget Settings Popout Bar - Comment & Question

Post by rhodry »

richyrich wrote:Right-click on the desktop, choose "Lock Widgets" . . . . done ! :D

EDIT: Yes, Mint has done a terrific job in the KDE CE ! Boo should be congratulated for his accomplishment !
Well, I did say 'something simple I have missed' !! :shock:

Sorry, the logic of locking something in place equating to reducing the number of ways to set it's settings just doesn't come flooding to the forefront of my mind??!! I suppose the bar does include the movement capability doesn't it. Bet they're glad I'm not on the development team!? :roll:

Anyway, thanks Richy; and yes Boo has done a stellar job. I started my Linux experience with KDE desktops & was quite disheartened when I saw the first versions of 4. Hence everything reverted to Mint Gnome. I have recently looked at 4 different KDE4 versions and his is far & away the most satisfactory ( and getting better). A very talented bunch of folks here at LinuxMint!

Rhodry.

Return to “Software & Applications”