Dual Boot Mint & Win7 menu.lst Issue

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cubby

Re: Dual Boot Mint & Win7 menu.lst Issue

Post by Cubby »

Hi Froggy,

How are you editing the menu.lst?

for me I would use terminal command

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
Concerning the blinking cursor means you have no x session. Looks like you'll need to post a copy of your dmesg and xorg.o.log. What graphics do you use? On board or a card?
At blinking cursor can you get to console by entering Ctrl+Alt+F1 or maybe try Ctrl+Alt+F7? And if you can get to console and enter login name and password, does x session start by typing in " startx". When did the blinking cursor occur?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cubby

Post by Cubby »

Hi Froggy,

I'm a newbie, too, but I do have some recent experiences with some of the terminal commands that give specific outputs as I've been doing a bit of debugging-and learning along the way.

Let's see, I don't know if this forum can minimize a dmesg output, but if you do post the output of dmesg (go to terminal and type "dmesg), it's always nice to use code. And, output of xorg log:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
and

lspci -vv
As for the boot option. what does your fstab file look like:

cat /etc/fstab
do this command as normal user, not as root or superuser.

Maybe this will give more information so that others can help, too.
Regards, Cubby
Cubby

Post by Cubby »

Hi Froggy,

You also should read the following link, using GParted live disk to first set up your partition, and then try installing Mint. Sometimes it makes for a better install of a distro when you prepare your partition first using this utility. I am not familiar with Windows Seven, especially if it you have bought a computer/laptop with it already installed. It's one reason I use nLite version of XP Pro.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=32769

Return to “Installation & Boot”