Mint moving up on DistroWatch!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Mint moving up on DistroWatch!

Post by exploder »

I refreshed the distrowatch list for the last 7 days and LinuxMint has moved up to number 6! This is a good sign that things are going in the right direction with the new release!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Yes and watch it climb once the Cassandra final hits Distrowatch!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Now number 4 on 7 day span!
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

Unfortunately, Mint's success in DW rankings will also bring out the stupid distro-bashers, like it did with PCLinuxOS 2007 and Ubuntu Feisty... :(
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I don't think there's anything we can do about that, any major audience website gets its fair share of stupid comments. Look at osnews.com, linuxfr.org and now distrowatch weekly... it's gone to a point where I don't ever read the comments on osnews.com, I don't even visit linuxfr.org anymore and I'm starting to think I might not look at the comments section of Distrowatch Weekly.

They're not only bashing PCLinuxOS, they're bashing Ubuntu, Mandriva, Fedora, Suse, every single distro which gets too much attention. They're even starting to criticize Distrowatch itself and the way it ranks and groups the distributions.

Distrowatch is a great website and it's really handy and full of precious information. Distrowatch Weekly is also a very nice read and one of the few things which brighten my monday mornings... but I wouldn't recommend to anyone to post in the comments section, especially not about Linux Mint. This place is turning into a distrowar mini-forum and I'd be obliged to anybody not to mention Mint in there... we really don't need that kind of crap.

Clem
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

I completely agree with you, Clem. It's very sad but it's the truth.
If I were Ladislav, I'd think on dropping the Hits column; it attracts too much hate mail and stupid comments. :(
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

It actually brings some valuable information, provided people don't use these stats to make funny interpretations. If he was to drop something it should be the comment section. People will always bash and spit on each others, if they don't do it about the ranking they'll find something else, the main thing is that they don't harm the quality of a website like distrowatch by doing so.

Clem
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

wam wrote:
clem wrote: They're not only bashing PCLinuxOS, they're bashing Ubuntu, Mandriva, Fedora, Suse, every single distro which gets too much attention.
Clem

Somehow they never seem to bash straight Debian. :roll:
Nah Debian is too busy bashing each other ;-)

Just take the Stoic approach, who cares? Clem you've managed to come up with a good balance and I salute you. Each release is getting better and Mint is coming into it's own.

8)
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

BlahBlah_X wrote:I really like the hit column on DistroWatch. Its a good way to see what the general public is curious about. If something sparks linux users' curiosity, then one can see that distro rise on the hit counter.

For example, it was really great to see PCLinuxOS rise so quickly because it showed that people liked it more than Fedora or openSUSE
I simply LOATH rpm based distro's, especially Redhat/Fedora/CentOS. But I have nothing but pure contempt for SuSE and now Xandros. Xandros just jumped in with the Borg :evil:
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd
djross95
Level 1
Level 1

Post by djross95 »

Looks like the commercial (as opposed to community) distros are joining up with Microsoft---e.g., Xandros and Novell. Their customers probably see some value in this, even if the wider community does not......

DR
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

djross95 wrote:Looks like the commercial (as opposed to community) distros are joining up with Microsoft---e.g., Xandros and Novell. Their customers probably see some value in this, even if the wider community does not......

DR
They're being used my M$. As much as I dislike Redhat you have to give them credit for not selling out ya know.
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”